No Money!

Options
My brother had his claim for IB stopped because he didn't attend a medical, anyway I spoke to him today he says he put in a new claim in sept and is still waiting on the outcome, the thing is they say he can't claim JSA because he is not fit for work but he can't claim IS either because he has an ongoing claim with IB. This means he has no money at all (except 1 crisis loan) since sept. His HB and CTC have also been stopped because he hasn't got any claims to any benefit. Does this sound right to you?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    He needs to make a new claim for HB and CTC. He can claim on the basis of being on a low income, he does not need to be in receipt of benefits to do this.

Has he asked why there is a delay on his new IB claim?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • daff_duck
    Options
    They tell him that they are waiting for medical reports. He has been told he can't claim any HB or CTC unles he has a benefit in payment or some sort of income coming in.
  • dmg24
    Options
    They are definitely wrong about the HB and CTB. When I rented, I claimed HB and CTB even though I was not claiming any benefits. The only difference is that I applied directly to my local council, and not through the Jobcentre.

Contact your local council for the relevant forms, and when you get them, put in the Backdating section that he was told that he could not claim, and if possible submit written evidence to this effect, or at least the names of people that have given you the information.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • daff_duck
    Options
    Thanx, I will tell him. What about money to live on though, surley they can't just leave him with nothing at all?
  • dmg24
    Options
    I would have thought that he would be able to claim the reduced rate of IS (£19 a week) in the meantime, but I'm not sure on that, and it could take as long for that claim to go through.

Where are they waiting for the reports from? If it is a GP or Consultant, I would chase these up myself.
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport