How best to make new cats feel at home?

Comments

• When you first let them out, do it just before feeding time, when they are hungry. Give them a few minutes to explore and then call them in, make lots of "food" noises, and they should come back. Repeat a few times and extend the time gradually.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Glad to hear they are settling in.

When we moved recently, all 3 of our cats were a little upset. The oldest one had travelled a long distance before and when our bed was put in place, she was absolutely fine.

The other 2 were more upset and it took them hours to calm down. We found leaving them alone and letting them come to us rather than going to them (to avoid panicking and making them feel trapped) worked.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    It might ge worth while vaccuming the house and emptying the contents on the garden.
    Then let your fur babies out while they are hungry.
    The garden will then smell of "home" and hopefully their bellies will bring them back.
    Good luck.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • It's hard to say as every cat is so different, but give them lots of space and time to figure things out and you'll soon see them coming to you :)
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you everyone for your tips.
    We've made some progress on letting the cats out. More precisely, one of the cats has been out (male).
    I blocked off the side entrance to the garden and then let him out on Saturday late morning. He was quite cautious at first and scared, dashed in and out the patio/indoors few times and then ventured further. He was out probably about 15min and then came back in. Yesterday, he went out for about an 1h - I was in the garden with him. He was clearly excited with all the smells, the wind, etc.
    Then this morning, I let him out again and he was out for a good half an hour if not more. He came back when I called when he was ready.
    The female does not seem to be interested in going out yet and has in fact been hissing at her brother. Probably he's bringing strange smells from the outside with him, but they seem to sort it out between them after a while.
    These are cats who were not allowed outside in their previous home so trying to take things slowly.
    But very pleased with the male cat - he definitely knows where his home is. Luckily he has not yet had to confront any of the other cats frequenting our garden - that could be very scary for him as he's only ever known his sister!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    She may or may not find her way out. My SILs cat has never been outside, not even as far as the back door

Next door neighbours cat has finally given up visiting our garden. Our timid rescue would just yeow the place down till one of us woke and went out and scared it off, but the kitten, who is now a fully grown killing machine, has given it what for a few times now

Its wild windy out there today, trees are coming down its that bad. Rescue is curled up on the sofa, kitten is out there killing leaves :)
  • When I was a child, none of my, fairly wide, family had pets and none acquired them as we grew older. I have no idea why people want or, apparently need them and as for talking to them.....??
  • When I was a child, none of my, fairly wide, family had pets and none acquired them as we grew older. I have no idea why people want or, apparently need them and as for talking to them.....??

Four-footed companionship is absolutely wonderful - you give them a cosy home with a comfy bed and plenty of good food, and they give you hours of pleasure and amusement as well as companionship with their individual personalities and funny quirky ways. They don't care what you look like, how much money you have or what your politics are, and so are considerably easier to get along with than quite a few of the humans in your acquaintance! I'm sorry for you not having experienced this pleasure.

As for talking to them, all of mine have always talked back, with very distinct voices explaining how they feel about things in no uncertain terms. I never refer to myself as their owner, I am their keeper, you cannot 'own' any sentient being, in my book. However, while my dog is just happy to be around me, I strongly suspect that my cats regard me as their personal staff!
  • Nothing to be sorry about. What much more intellectually (or emotionally) satisfying pursuit should I give up in order to (be obliged to) pay attention to a cat?
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nothing to be sorry about. What much more intellectually (or emotionally) satisfying pursuit should I give up in order to (be obliged to) pay attention to a cat?

I've never had to give up any pursuits to look after my cat (or indeed any of my cats)

Go out (or stay in) - follow said pursuits - leave cat food etc. And come home again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure