For safety's sake,. I suggest changing her log in to her emails, and bank
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • alittleowl
    Options
    kazwookie wrote: »
    For safety's sake,. I suggest changing her log in to her emails, and bank
    Yes, I've deleted her email address (anyone who genuinely knows her can contact her a different way) and the bank know all the details of what's happened and are issuing her with a new account number. With a new passport and being on the CIFAS register that will hopefully be enough to stop anything else happening.

She's being quite stoical about it, really, saying "at least they didn't physically break in to my house to steal from me" and "at least no-one got physically injured, it's not like I was mugged in the street", both of which have happened to friends of hers. I agree but I'm still outraged that someone would go to such lengths to trick an elderly lady.
  • alittleowl
    Options
    The website of these thieves is https://phillippaar.com. I thought I'd put that in my first post but I seem to have left it out.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    alittleowl wrote: »
    The website of these thieves is https://phillippaar.com. I thought I'd put that in my first post but I seem to have left it out.

I noticed if you cut and paste the telephone number and put it back into google, it changes to a completely different number
  • hollydays
    edited 6 December 2019 at 6:47PM
    Options
    He claimed that he was the father of a child who had attended the school where she was head before she retired. That was over ten years ago but Mum remembers the family and therefore thought she was talking to the real David Cambridge. He knew all sorts of stuff about the school and its staff, which can be found on the school's website of course. But he also knew that she now volunteers at the local food bank too and claimed to have mutual acquaintances there.

As well as Action Fraud I contacted the local police force on Tuesday because she's elderly and was scared for her safety: they've now spoken to the real David Cambridge and are certain it's not him running a scam on the side so this scumbag has impersonated him for his own sick personal gain.

It's all extremely creepy. The amount of effort they've put into profiling Mum and finding her back story is frightening. She was in the local paper when she retired so we think that might be how they started gathering information about her. I've now contacted Age Concern too, and am trying to persuade her to talk to the local newspaper in order to get the word out, but she's so embarrassed and scared of attracting more publicity that I don't think she'll do that.

In reality, so many people have a substantial online footprint.
    I don't think she need be scared, but simply to understand that fraudsters find this easy work.
    Maybe if you show her her online presence, she will understand better.
    Also read " Think Jessica"
    https://www.thinkjessica.com
  • alittleowl
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I noticed if you cut and paste the telephone number and put it back into google, it changes to a completely different number

Does it? I hadn't noticed that. Probably spoofing their number.
  • hollydays
    Options
    Does it? I hadn't noticed that. Probably spoofing their number.

Click on the phone logo at the top of the page
  • alittleowl
    Options
    In reality, so many people have a substantial online footprint.
    I don't think she need be scared, but simply to understand that fraudsters find this easy work.
    Maybe if you show her her online presence, she will understand better.
    Also read " Think Jessica"
    https://www.thinkjessica.com
    Thanks very much indeed for that link. It is amazing how much information about someone that Google search can bring you. I've shown her and I think, despite finding it all a bit baffling, she gets it and knows not to trust anyone who phones up and claims to be someone she knows. But that's very hard for her to get her head around. I think the key thing is "you can be friendly but DO NOT GIVE ANYONE YOUR MONEY"
  • alittleowl
    Options
    Click on the phone logo at the top of the page
    She was given that alternative (0808) number when she signed up with them but now it just gives a "number unobtainable" tone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback