IHT 205 - Gifts/extorted monies

Options
Hi,

Concerned about the treatment of 'gifts' for completing IHT 205.

A relative with severe mental health issues recently passed away, they were in crisis this past year and had sums of money extorted from them:

1) large sum resulting in bank account being stopped, police involvement, court case resulting in prosecution so there will be evidence of this and amounts involved)

2) the above situation lead a to a spiral of returning alcoholism, resulting in further extortion by others in differing amounts, given freely as cash over the last 12 months

The original amount of savings was under both the higher IHT threshold and the 150k IHT 400 threshold, however I'm worried that I should report the 'gifts' as they show as cash withdrawals on bank statements, totalling over 3k.

Please advise best way to proceed as we just want to be able to move on from this now as my own mental health has suffered - honestly can't stomach the thought of months of HMRC letters/evidence requirements etc.

TIA

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    From what you say these were not gifts so should be treated as depts owed to the estate.

How much are we talking about here, both in terms of the money taken and the remainder of the estate?
  • underthecosh
    Options
    Thanks for quick response - still waiting on confimration from bank but estimate 15-30k taken and between 5-15k remaining. How would I go about proving/evidencing them as debts? We may need to take them into account if we need to pro-rata any payments to creditors
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for quick response - still waiting on confimration from bank but estimate 15-30k taken and between 5-15k remaining. How would I go about proving/evidencing them as debts? We may need to take them into account if we need to pro-rata any payments to creditors

As you say, the outcome of the prosecution will give evidence that the first series of payments were not gifts but were extorted. Whether you can get the cash back is, of course, a wholly different matter and you'll need to take proper legal advice on the point as it applies to the estate.

The second round of 'freely given' gifts will need to be treated as just that: gifts.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

Is the estate insolvent?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

If that remaining £5-15k is just sitting in a bank account then you should not need to go through probate, banks will normally pay out that amount without needing probate.

If for some reason you still need it, the actual figure you submit do not have to be that accurate as the estate is way below the nil rate band and HMRC will not be querying it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure