HSBC to hike overdraft fees from March

Options

Comments

• Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, 40% interest on overdrafts is one change that won't worry me in the slightest. But I would rather they gave me a bit more interest for not using that facility.

You wait till they go all "German" on us.
    We will be charged a monthly fee for the current bank account then on top of that charged a negative interest rate for keeping any sums of money with them in savings accounts.
    Here is the first...
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-03/german-banks-open-floodgates-to-negative-rates-for-all-savers
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    il638 wrote: »
    thanks so this actually works out better then, i have a 5k overdraft in theory i would pay less, luckily i dont use it but its good to know if i need to ill only be charged 20 quid a month.
    :wall:

You won't only be charged £20 a month as this cap relates only to unarranged overdraft charges, as clarified in the other posts after the one you chose to quote, or the explanatory HSBC document itself.

If you used an arranged £5K overdraft up to its limit then you'd pay just under £2K per year in interest, i.e. £166 per month. Any monthly balance beyond £600 would exceed monthly charges of £20....
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    il638 wrote: »
    thanks so this actually works out better then, i have a 5k overdraft in theory i would pay less, luckily i dont use it but its good to know if i need to ill only be charged 20 quid a month.

Unfortunately a lot of people will think the same ! They're in for a huge shock. It's not that difficult to understand the difference between fees and interest.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does this imply that if you don't have an arranged overdraft then payments which would take you into overdraft will simply be refused ?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,529 Forumite
    Options
    Does this imply that if you don't have an arranged overdraft then payments which would take you into overdraft will simply be refused ?

I would guess that it will be the same as now.
    Depends on the bank and how they view your account.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    I would guess that it will be the same as now.
    Depends on the bank and how they view your account.
    At the moment my bank tries again later on in the day the payment is due then again the following day before refusing payment and charging Refused Payment fees.

I don't have an arranged overdraft and, for my taste, this is the way I prefer my banking to be.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • born_again
    Options
    At the moment my bank tries again later on in the day the payment is due then again the following day before refusing payment and charging Refused Payment fees.
    True for DD & SO. But not card payments.
    Also things like recurring transactions can take you over.
    Life in the slow lane
  • capital0ne
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    I see lots of talk about a 40% interest charge. Others seem to have missed there's a monthly cap of £20.

Maximum annual charge for an arranged or unarranged overdraft with HSBC will be £240 a year.
    So you may as well go for £1,000s of pounds overdrawn as you'll only be charged £240 - sounds good to me.

Thanks HSBC, I'm moving my account right now! :T
  • born_again
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »
    So you may as well go for £1,000s of pounds overdrawn as you'll only be charged £240 - sounds good to me.

Better than the £960 it is now....:rotfl:
    Life in the slow lane
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    I see lots of talk about a 40% interest charge. Others seem to have missed there's a monthly cap of £20.

Maximum annual charge for an arranged or unarranged overdraft with HSBC will be £240 a year.

:wall:

This thread is real Groundhog Day stuff and seems to attract many with comprehension difficulties or who can't be bothered reading past something they like the sound of, to get to where it's corrected - small wonder some get into financial difficulties....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure