Npower Online 8 - unhappy :(

Options
Months ago I checked out prices on gas and electric and found I could make a good saving by moving to Npowers Online 8 tariff from my supplier, I had earlier wanted to go to BG Click but could not have it as I had a twin dial meter. Npower were OK about this type of meter and I signe up.

They have had my supply now for 2 months na dwrote to me yesterday to say I could not have Online 8 as I had the wrong sort of meter.

I called them today and was then told after 'checking' with the experts that my meter was OK but I could not have Online 8 for just electric and that I 'must' sign up for gas.

When I asked the question as to why I had been allowed to sign up online, that they had confirmed the account and confirmed the rates and sent a letter stating the 'wrong meter type', why are you now telling me I must have gas, he just kept saying "So would you lik eto sign up for gas".

Has anybody else had this with Npower and got it sorted out or should I just give up on them and move away.

I feel that they are trying to con me into taking the gas and am considering writing to the OFF??? cant remember the name to complain.

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    These people should help you..

http://www.energywatch.org.uk/
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    what do you mean by "twin dial" meter? Do you mean E7?

If so, Npower have been able to support that meter since they were MEB. I've heard this before off people on here about Npower and it's garbage - most likely a numpty on the phone.

Does the tariff you signed for state it MUST be duel fuel? If not, they are just trying to con you into gas for a commission!

They have registered you now so they are obliged to bill you and they know that. If they cannot support your meter, they could a) process you back to your previous Supplier as an Erroneous Transfer (ET) or b) they could manually bill your account and get your meter changed.

I don't understad what you mean by 2 dial as that is one of the most common forms of metering in the industry. BGas can also support modern E7.

Do you mean E10? A lot of Suppliers have problems with that one.

Npower can bill E10 now anyway as they have moved into a system which can handle multi MPAN metering.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • save-alot
    Options
    Yes an E7 meter but I had not requested an E7 tariff, thats why I described it as a twin dial.

BG refuse the E7 meter on the click energy which is why I went for Npower, as I had checked that this type of meter was OK with them.

Cheers
  • Terrylw1
    Options
    Ok, so you are tring to sign up for a tariff that is not available to E7 customers. Thats a different matter. You would need to get your meter changed for that.

I take it that you have gas central heating and E7 is not saving you money anymore? Why not get it changed.

Every Supplier can support E7, it's one of the oldest tariffs going thesedays.

Some Suppliers can support 2 rate metering on a 1 rate tariff but they still split your bill into 2 readings to do it.

Why not get the meter changed (20min job) and then you could sign for the deals you want?

Other way, switch then change the meter but I guessing you will not get all the cashback/discount you are trying to get?
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • silou
    silou Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    I switched both gas and electric to npowers online 8 tariff a few weeks ago and have also received a letter today telling me that I have the wrong sort of meter for the elec sol 8 tariff so will have to pay their standard rates. Haven't called them yet, need to calm down a bit first! btw I don't remember being asked anything at any point about the type of meter I have.
  • Terrylw1
    Options
    silou wrote: »
    I switched both gas and electric to npowers online 8 tariff a few weeks ago and have also received a letter today telling me that I have the wrong sort of meter for the elec sol 8 tariff so will have to pay their standard rates. Haven't called them yet, need to calm down a bit first! btw I don't remember being asked anything at any point about the type of meter I have.

What type of meter do you have though? They should have checked this with you.

Using Npower's site for comparison it does let you sign up to the sign online tariff with E7 so it should be supported.
  • save-alot
    Options
    I logged a complaint with them just over a week ago and they have just replied to say that They are going to have a look at it but that I need to sign up for paperless billing. I thought that was standard with this tariff.

I will persue this
  • blackdoor
    Options
    Read my post 'N power nightmare':mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business