Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Recycled roof tiles - new EU Law

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
12 replies 1.1K views
NurbyNurby Forumite
19 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
The manager of a local reclamation yard told me today that as of 1 September he is forbidden by EU law, Directive (whatever) from selling used roof tiles. In future when buildings are refurbished or demolished the roof tiles are to be returned to the manufacturer/destroyed. Extensions must use new tiles. He claimed that this was a result of pressure from tile manufacturers looking to increase their sales.
I have tried Googling for information on this but drawn a blank - anyone heard of this? Can anyone point me to guidance on the new legislation?

Replies

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Nearly every building near us has rag slate - in our yard we have 6 pallet boxes waiting to go on a cottage which we will refurbish in the spring. Planning won't allow anything else around here.

Perhaps it is tiles rather than slates?
  • in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If the tiles are worth say £200, offer him £200 payment for the pallet they're sitting on if he throws in the tiles for free
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • edited 30 November 2019 at 11:59PM
    hawkwinddotcomhawkwinddotcom Forumite
    516 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 30 November 2019 at 11:59PM
    Could it be non slate tiles? As they were made using chemicals in the mix?
    3.78 kWp PV SolarEdge with iBoost South facing.
    30° pitch roof 4% shading. Installed 6th June 18.
    Gloucester
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is one for Doozergirl who has her finger on the button.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • ka7eka7e Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds bogus to me. How could you do repairs to older and/or listed buildings etc without having a source of reclaimed tiles?
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    30.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robin9 wrote: »

I'm flattered, but I have no idea what they are talking about. I can certainly aim questions in the right direction but it makes no sense to me and I'm concerned I might look silly if I did. :o

Most of our work is on period property and we should be aiming to re-use, not just for conservation purposes, but for the simple fact that the lowest carbon emissions come from products that already exist. The thermal integrity is in the insulation, so there's no demand to upgrade tiling, per say. I can't imagine the EU pushing anything for 'tile manufacturers'. If there's something dangerous somewhere in the production that needed to be recalled, maybe.

Knowing that there are many characters in the game, I'm reserving judgement.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I can't imagine the EU pushing anything for 'tile manufacturers'.

I had a search for any EU directives on the subject. All I could find were reports recommending the reuse & recycling of construction & demolition materials - Bricks & roofing tiles got a specific mention as they can be reused without too much effort (depending on mortar used).

There is gumpf in building regulations concerning materials being fit for use and a implied suggestion that they should be tested - Reclaimed/reused materials are very unlikely to have CE or Kite markings to confirm that they meet the relevant standards. Perhaps this is what was confusing this so called "manager" ?

If there was a requirement for all building materials to be CE/Kite marked or approved, all the reclaim & architectural salvage companies across Europe would be out of business.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the owner of the yard wants to stop dealing in concrete tiles and simply uses this as an excuse. A lot of reclamation yards don't stock them, as they are relatively low value per m2 of storage space, compared with 'vintage' materials.

Sounds like a load of b0ll0cks to me anyway, as it's obviously worth reusing existing tiles that have , say, 30 years left in them, than using large amounts of energy to re-manufacture prematurely.
    NHS and Care Workers deserve better than blackmail.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robin9 wrote: »
    I thought that was Trump and, God help us, Bo-jo?
    NHS and Care Workers deserve better than blackmail.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nurby wrote: »
    The manager of a local reclamation yard told me today that as of 1 September he is forbidden by EU law, Directive (whatever) from selling used roof tiles. In future when buildings are refurbished or demolished the roof tiles are to be returned to the manufacturer/destroyed. Extensions must use new tiles. He claimed that this was a result of pressure from tile manufacturers looking to increase their sales.
    I have tried Googling for information on this but drawn a blank - anyone heard of this? Can anyone point me to guidance on the new legislation?

It sounds like he has totally misunderstood the EU Waste Directive
This discussion has been closed.