Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Identify light bulb fitting

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
9 replies 581 views
LlorenzoLlorenzo Forumite
14 Posts
Moved into new home recently and the bathroom light has gone. It's a downlighter / spotlighter.

Can anyone please help identify:
1) is there a bulb already in place here?
2) What type of bulb goes into this fitting?

http://imgur.com/a/1QXt1Pf

A trip to B&Q will then be in the works.
Cheers
:beer:

Replies

• looks like the lamp (bulb as you put it) is part of the fitting so may need a new light or driver/transformer
  • edited 30 November 2019 at 5:23PM
    BelenusBelenus Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2019 at 5:23PM
    It could be a G10.

With the power off and a cold bulb, try removing it.

Use a sucker or two or three fingers to press gently on the glass and twist anti clockwise about 25 degrees.

Be ready to catch it if it drops.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • The weird thing is there doesn't seem to be any glass! Is the lamp/bulb missing, or is this the way modern light fittings are made?
  • BelenusBelenus Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If there isn't any glass. try turning it with fingers against that silver shroud.

Or unscrew the whole fitting.

Take proper care.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • jamesperrettjamesperrett Forumite
    975 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a COB (chip on block) LED in there so the whole fitting will possibly need to be replaced as the LED isn't replaceable on its own. What happens if you unscrew those two screws?
  • edited 1 December 2019 at 10:57AM
    neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    18.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 December 2019 at 10:57AM
    I tend to agree, looks like an LED fixture from that angle, have you removed the trim that covers the screws?

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/bathroom-downlights/cat5110018#category=cat5110018&page_size=100
  • Pedr057Pedr057 Forumite
    14 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have a similar problem - the first bulb has blown since we moved in. Looks like a spot light in a down lighter - have several in every room so the problem will reoccur. I've tried to unscrew it using moderate finger pressure but it won't budge so it may just be a pull out? I also tried one of those suction cups but couldn't get a seal. I suspect it's a GU-10 LED but not sure until I get it out but to get it out I need to know what it is! Any ideas gratefully received.

• victor2victor2 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was presumably some sort of clear cover in front of the bulb that you removed to get at it. I would remove the two screws (with the power off, of course!) and see what sort of connection to the fitting there is. You may then a whole new fitting, suitable for a bathroom and "zone" it is in. Might, annoyingly, need a qualified electrician to fit it too.

• edited 14 March 2020 at 5:01PM
    chriswchrisw Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 March 2020 at 5:01PM
    Pedr057 said:
    I have a similar problem - the first bulb has blown since we moved in. Looks like a spot light in a down lighter - have several in every room so the problem will reoccur. I've tried to unscrew it using moderate finger pressure but it won't budge so it may just be a pull out? I also tried one of those suction cups but couldn't get a seal. I suspect it's a GU-10 LED but not sure until I get it out but to get it out I need to know what it is! Any ideas gratefully received.

I would agree with GU 10. Can you insert something like a couple of small screwdrivers in the cooling holes and see if it turns? I'm sure they're part of the bulb rather than the light assembly.
This discussion has been closed.