Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Letter from managing agents ..large bill coming ?

New Post Advanced Search

Letter from managing agents ..large bill coming ?

9 replies 615 views
another_casualtyanother_casualty Forumite
5.6K posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
Howdy !
I received a letter from the managing agents regarding a notice of intent for electrical works to be carried out . This is apparently due to unsatisfactory electrical installation condition report . (EICR)
I could propose an estimate from an electrician , within 30 days .

My question is , how much should I expect to pay? Would it be ontop of service charges or a seperate bill?
I expect that the various managing agents have their own various ways of doing required work and billing the leaseholders in their own way.

Just hoping for a heads up .

Thanks
Too many people ..too many problems .  I Step away from the news, media and oppression as much as possible ( and adverts!) and realise that my life matters ,and maybe life is not crap .

Replies

• How long is a piece of string?

Do you have a sinking fund to ease any large costs?
  • another_casualtyanother_casualty Forumite
    5.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    How long is a piece of string?

Do you have a sinking fund to ease any large costs?

Yeah, I gathered it's that kind of question :)
    Yes we have a sinking fund . Hopefully that may help
    Too many people ..too many problems .  I Step away from the news, media and oppression as much as possible ( and adverts!) and realise that my life matters ,and maybe life is not crap .
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the current service charges exceed the current service expenditure? If yes, that may cover some/all of the cost.
    If there is a sinking fund, how big is it? That may cover some/all of the cost.

As for how much it will cost, impossible to say as we don't know the type or extent of the proposed work!
  • southcoastrgisouthcoastrgi Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your service charge will normally only cover communal areas, you haven't made it clear if this is individual flats or communal areas ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    5.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your service charge will normally only cover communal areas, you haven't made it clear if this is individual flats or communal areas ?

Thanks for reminding me . :)
    It's 2 big Victorian houses , converted into 7 flats .
    My building is split into 4 flats . Flat 2 has its own entrance .
    Mine and 2 others are communal entrance . One flat opposite have their own entrance . The 2 on the corner of that are communal..
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know what the EICR says is wrong?

A single broken socket would be enough to fail an EICR if it leaves live wires exposed. That would be pretty easy to fix.

Alternatively, the entire building could be wired in old vulcanised rubber cable, which has perished and the insulation is crumbling away. That would mean a total rewire.

Anything in between is also possible.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • missilemissile Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... This is apparently due to unsatisfactory electrical installation condition report . (EICR)
    I could propose an estimate from an electrician , within 30 days ….
    Very strange, it is the agents job to get competitive quotes for your approval. Some agents will employ their "sister" company and unscrupulous ones use EICR as a license to create unnecessary work at inflated prices.
    Demand a copy of EICR and contact an electrician you trust to quote.

What do your neighbours say?
    5.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only received letter via email yesterday . Tbh. The only neighbour I see to discuss anything is the snoop of the block so to speak .
    He is one of the directors . Nice enough guy , but goes to France every so often as him and his wife have a home there . 6 months here and 6 months there . There is a family above me who are tenants , and a nice young couple also tenants who I rarely see.

I have heard in the past about if something needs doing , the leaseholder gets 3 quotes and submits them to the managing agents and they normally go with the cheapest .

I'll send an email later asking my original question .
    When I hear , I'll update as it may come in useful for someone in a similar situation .
    One other thing : they are old Victorian houses circa 1900.
    As far as I'm aware , they got converted into flats around the year2000
  • missilemissile Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    …..

I have heard in the past about if something needs doing , the leaseholder gets 3 quotes and submits them to the managing agents and they normally go with the cheapest .

That is how it normally works with most agents. You should for a copy of their service agreement. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support