Am I entitled to another benefit due to long term injury?

Options
Hello MSE.

I'm currently claiming Universal Credit as I lost my job in May. HOWEVER I am wondering if I have been missing out on any benefits since May, as I am only claiming because I lost my job and I am UNABLE to work, rather than choosing not to work etc.

I tore my ACL in May which led me to lose my job as I was in my probation period (its fair enough, saves paying for a new worker who isnt working). I have since been unable to work and only very recently come out of surgery to get it fixed (however my recovery time is still lengthy).

I receive roughly £250 a month (with £20 deduction as i opted for an advanced payment) with universal credit and that is nothing in comparison to what I was earning. Is there anything I can do because, as mentioned earlier, I'm only not working because I can't, not because I don't want to/decline jobs as they appear. I was always wondering if payments could be backdated (I have had all my sick notes verified by universal credit), because if I've had such a bad 6 months I may as well try to have a good Christmas

Thanks for any help it's really appreciated

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is ACL?
    How does this injury affect you day to day life?

Do you need help with your personal care needs?
    If so, when will you no longer need this help (i.e recovery)

Have you had a UC Work Capability Assessment?

What are you circumstances i.e renting / family responsibilities / age / etc
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I infer you are under 25 if you are only getting £250/month. Given that you provided fit Notes, have you had a Work Capability Assessment?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Morgan1
    Options
    I'm really sorry if i've messed up this reply I am so bad with technology haha. ACL is a ligament in my knee, so I can't walk unaided for about another month and havent been able to walk unaided for the last 6.

I haven't had a work capability assessment as far as I am aware, however I only have a phone call with my work coach every month or so.

I'm 23, never claimed previously and always worked/had a job during education. I had to move back in with my mum (and so she's lost single person discount on council tax which I am having to pay the difference for cause fair enough).
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    What is ACL?
    How does this injury affect you day to day life?

Do you need help with your personal care needs?
    If so, when will you no longer need this help (i.e recovery)

Have you had a UC Work Capability Assessment?

What are you circumstances i.e renting / family responsibilities / age / etc
  • Morgan1
    Options
    I am not too sure if I'm honest whether I've had the assessment. I don't have to go in every week or whatever it is, instead I have phone calls once a month or so with a work coach so maybe I have?
  • calcotti
    Options
    If you have been providing Fit Notes since the start of your claim you should have been referred for a Work Capability Assessment after 29 days. If the WCA found that you had Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity you would have been entitled to extra money in your UC.

The WCA would have involved you completing a form with questions about how your health affects you.

Given that you expect to be over your injury in about another month there are no other benefits to consider.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Morgan1
    Options
    I do have limited capability for work. I could/can neither sit at a desk or walk around. I don't recall ever filling out any forms or anything like that surrounding capability. Another month or 2 being unable to work is significant, so would be worth the claim along with trying to back date the claims if thats a possibility. I'm trying to gather information surrounding this in order to back date/have the correct money for the rest of my claims too. I'd love to be working right now and I really cannot fathom how some people CHOOSE this kind of life
  • calcotti
    Options
    You can ask your work coach why you have not had a WCA. If that is now carried out and you are found to have Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity then you could be entitled to extra money from the fourth month of your claim and you could ask for any backdated amount on the grounds that the WCA should have been carried out sooner.

If the result of a WCA is that you have Limited Activity for Work (but can do Work Related Activity) then there is no extra money.
  • Morgan1
    Options
    The question is now whether they deem someone who cant even take a cup of tea upstairs is fit for work or not then haha. Cheers for your help, I'll get onto them about it
    calcotti wrote: »
    You can ask your work coach why you have not had a WCA. If that is now carried out and you are found to have Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity then you could be entitled to extra money from the fourth month of your claim and you could ask for any backdated amount on the grounds that the WCA should have been carried out sooner.

If the result of a WCA is that you have Limited Activity for Work (but can do Work Related Activity) then there is no extra money.
  • Morgan1
    Options
    I'm curious as well, why would it be from month 4 when the injury leading to not working was from the very start?
    calcotti wrote: »

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You may find this helps you understand it a bit more.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal_Credit_Work_Capability_Assessment
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure