Cel consolidated claim

I am currently been harassed by CEL with two claims one from July 2017 and the other from March 2019. I have defended both claims separately and sent a SAR which I just received. They also sent a letter stating that they will apply to the court to have both claims consolidated even though they are for two different cars and different parking sites. I have also filled and returned form N180 for the 2017 claim. Should I object to the consolidation? or does it not matter?

Thanks

Replies

• KeithPKeithP Forumite
    27.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You already have a CEL thread from August 2018.

Is that related in any way?

How about updating that thread with progress, as well as your NCP thread?
  • KeithP wrote: »
    You already have a CEL thread from August 2018.

Is that related in any way?

How about updating that thread with progress, as well as your NCP thread?
    THE case from the previous thread closed as they did not pay the hearing fee so they are not related. The two in this case are completely different. I will update them both though. Thanks
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am currently been harassed by CEL with two claims one from July 2017 and the other from March 2019. I have defended both claims separately and sent a SAR which I just received. They also sent a letter stating that they will apply to the court to have both claims consolidated even though they are for two different cars and different parking sites.

I have also filled and returned form N180 for the 2017 claim. Should I object to the consolidation? or does it not matter?
    I would agree to consolidation as it's less costs in play, one hearing etc.

But are you really saying you had three CEL claims?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I would agree to consolidation as it's less costs in play, one hearing etc.

But are you really saying you had three CEL claims?
    YES, with these two they are three in all.
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP after the election, as it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • UPDATE:

I defended both claims and received notice of transfer to a local court.

First, the good news: I called the court today and was told one of the claims was struck off by the judge without a hearing. I should get confrimation in the next few days.

Hearing for the other has been set for May with the last date to submit witness statement as of February 3rd. I have scoured the forum looking for ideas for the witness statement but I am struggling to find similar cases to help. If anyone has pointers or ideas please let me know.

Outline:
    1. Private lease vehicle with more than one driver insured to drive the car
    2. PCN issued late July to hire company early August 2017
    3. Hire company provided hirer details via letter early August
    4. PCN issued to hirer late August 2017
    5. The claim is for parking between 9 am and 8 pm in a hospital car park with 3 hours only free parking

I was not the driver of the vehicle and have not made the driver known.
    SARS request was responded to without any pictures from the car park, just two pictures of the car being driven along the road.
    No NTK was sent and no mention of pofa in the PCN issued.

Any nudge in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    I was not driving so I do not know the area, I have tried to search google map but
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Use your imagination and no more than 3 or 4 keywords. Search the forum for:

hire lease witness statement

or something like

driver liability POFA witness
  • Le_KirkLe_Kirk Forumite
    16K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Witness Statement is "in support of your defence as already filed" and is a narrative written in the first person about what happened on the day and subsequently. Only you know that, so effectively only you can write it. You can search the forum, as suggested by Coupon-mad for ideas about layout, style and the specific areas relating to the POC.
  • Thanks to all in this forum who provide amazing support and advice. As updated yesterday, I have now received confirmation of the claim struck off.

Details:

Before District Judge......

Upon Considering the court file

IT IS CONSIDERED THAT

1. The claim is struck out for lack of particularity showing no reasonable grounds for bringing a claim.

Another one bites the dust. Thanks everyone. Back to work on my WS
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are similar, include that Order as an exhibit and state that THIS current claim also has no cause of action and is so badly pleaded that it fails to even show how they contend they will hold a lessee/hirer liable, when it is a private lease vehicle with more than one driver insured to drive the car, and the Defendant was NOT the driver, and the Claimant has failed to follow the only applicable law (POFA Schedule 4 paras 13/14).

Show us your WS first. Nice result with the first one!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide