LG satellite problems

in Techie Stuff
9 replies 450 views
LIzzieMLIzzieM Forumite
46 Posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
Hello everyone, if this post is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I have an LG 42LB535V Smart TV. It is quite an old model (bought in 2015) but in the past couple of weeks my Freesat keeps dropping out and losing signal (it's showing 0% on the settings panel for both Astra 28.2 and 19.2). I've checked all the connections but it's literally a turn it off at night, but then in the morning all the channels have disappeared. It will then decide to have a signal maybe 2-3 days later. I can't afford to replace it at the moment (and I don't particularly want to if I don't have to) but I was just wondering if any of you clever people had any thoughts on this?

Wifi still works fine.
Many thanks in advance, LizzieB
Attempting £40 grocery only for the month of October.
Let's see....

Replies

• neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The first place I'd start looking if you're having problems with your freesat signal is your dish.
  • LIzzieMLIzzieM Forumite
    46 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi Neil, that was the first thing I thought of but it's about 100ft up on the top of a communal block of flats and I live by myself.... I'll get in touch with the landlord on Monday, was just wondering if there was anything I could do with the TV itself (it's just weird that it goes off sporadically and then returns when it feels like it!). Thanks for taking the time to reply though :)
    Let's see....
  • debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Check the cables into the tv
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • Freesat and Sky signals come from Astra 28.2 deg east. So check that signal.

Ignore 19.2 deg east unless there is a second dish installed (I realise it might be difficult to see). Otherwise it should be showing zero although there maybe some erroneous signals as they both use the same or similar frequencies.
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If it is a communal dish may be others are also affected. Worth checking with a neighbour?
  • You mentioned that you are in a block of flats. Have you got a aerial socket so that you can connect and watch the Freeview service? If you have, on my LG tv you can either watch Freesat or Freeview via the aerial, selectable in settings/programmes/programme tuning and settings/programme mode.

In the meantime via wifi and the apps you can watch BBCI player, ITV player, 4od and My5. On my LG remote the apps are selectable by the "house" symbol in the middle of the remote.
  • LIzzieMLIzzieM Forumite
    46 Posts
    Forumite
    Cables were the first thing I checked - all tightly in place. My brother's an IT guy and he's coming back from Sweden at the weekend for Christmas so I'll give him a call then. Thanks once again all for your time - really appreciate it :) (I've got Iplayer and Netflix etc. and can always access ITV hub/channel 4 on my laptop :)
    Let's see....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] PPR Forumite
    0 Posts
    LIzzieM wrote: »
    Cables were the first thing I checked - all tightly in place. My brother's an IT guy and he's coming back from Sweden at the weekend for Christmas so I'll give him a call then. Thanks once again all for your time - really appreciate it :) (I've got Iplayer and Netflix etc. and can always access ITV hub/channel 4 on my laptop :)

Almost definitely the dish from your description.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do you have access to a spare Sky box? If so you could try connecting the cables up to that to see what the signal is like, that should rule out your TV if the signal is still bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals