Credit Card Tarting

Thanks Martin for alerting me to this! My son left me deeply in debt on cards with his endless demands for cash (including a £25k bank loan that I took out for him that he never repaid but I will clear in 5 months time). The only way I could give him money was drawing cash on credit cards until they were maxed out - I was £28k in debt when I put my foot down and said no more money. I started tarting going from four cards to getting eight. I knew I could pay £400 a month when I started tarting - pretty stressful at first and I wondered if the transfer fees were more than I’d pay in interest, but I kept tarting as the 0% deals ran out, always leaving four cards with zero balance. Today, after 7 years, I paid £300 and cleared the final card! I have closed them and now have one card linked to my bank account. Thanks for the idea - I fell really relieved today!

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2019 at 12:16AM
    How do you link a card to your bank account?
    Is there some reason for using the word 'tarting' so many times?
    I doubt you were getting 0% deals on the cash advances anyway. You must have been paying 3% cash advance fees and interest from day 1.
    Pleased to hear you eventually came to your senses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure