How many hours do you work a week including commute?

Options

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have 3 different shifts and each one has different hours but it averages out to 32 hours per week which includes a 10 minute drive each way.

Every 4th weekend involves being on call which I'd involves about an hour's work each Sat/Sun with no commute.
  • Pennysmakepounds
    Options
    Currently 42/47 hours per week depending on how i feel, with a 30(ish) minute commute EACH way.

This is the shortest commute i have EVER had :) and love it. Normally my commute averages 3 hours a day MIN.
    :jTo be Young AGAIN!!!!...what a wonderfull thought!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Contracted to do 37 hours per week, but do between 36 and 40 in reality (we have informal unrecorded flexi-time where the conscientious end up working a lot more hours on average, whereas the slackers end up working a lot less).

My commute is 1hr 45mins each way, made up of 10 mins car, 5 mins walk, 40 mins train, 25 mins for another train, 25 mins walk (or 25 mins tube instead of the final train and walk if it's raining). Typically delayed each day, so it's around 2hrs each way. I only go into the office 3 or 4 times each week so it isn't quite as bad as it sounds.
  • frugalandsave
    Options
    I work 40 hrs a week with 30-40 mins round trip to the office. But i work 2 days from home. So probs 42 hrs. I also have a small part time job i do at home which is 7 hrs a week. So 49 in total.
    Once a month have to travel for work visiting clients in other countries. That probs adds some more time for that particular week.
  • johndewinton0604
    Options
    I would say about 45 hours a week of working and about 2 hours of commuting a day so that adds up to 55 hours a week. But then again, my job situation is pretty complicated since I am building an online product and doing another job at the same time ;)
  • choccyface2006
    Options
    40 hours, 28 in the office and 12 hours commuting per week, plus 3+ waiting for public transport.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Depends if i'm doing a weekend, which since it's most weekends i'll take that one as the example.

A working day is a minimum of 10 paid hours so that's 10.5 hours that i'm there Monday-Friday which is 52.5 hours. Weekend you get paid for your dinner break so that's 9 hours so that's 61.5 hours i'm at work each week.

As for the commute side of things...

Takes me 25 minutes to get there each day so there's another 2.5 hours.
    Takes me 30 minutes to come home so that's an extra 3 hours so all in all 5.5 hours per week just getting there & back.

Grand total of 67 hours minimum. We can be put on overtime at zero notice so this could increase by an extra 15 minutes, it could increase by an extra 5-7 hours, but 67 is the base figure.

And to put a figure on it i get £25k/year. Approx.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 December 2019 at 10:21AM
    Options
    I would not work in a place that took 1 hour to get to. Can't believe some people spend 4 hours a day commuting (or more.)

as for me personally I work 37 hours a week, add in 1 hour lunch break each day, and 1 hour per day of driving to/from work, and that is 47 hours spent working. Thats enough for me :-)
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    I would not work in a place that took 1 hour to get to. Can't believe some people spend 4 hours a day commuting (or more.)
    For the money i'm on, you're dead right.

If i was on 100k+ then that's a different story :rotfl:
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 December 2019 at 1:12PM
    Options
    My week varies. I work 4 days (2 different jobs).
    29 hour a week. If I work from home from either job 0 hour commute.
    Job A, 2 days a week - the office is a 10 minute drive plus 12 minute walk ( I gave up my car park pass when they put the cost in so now walk in 0.8 miles each way - free). I usually work at home 1 day and go into the office 1 day).
    Job B, the office is 1 hour away, which I go to 1 day a fortnight. Bi-monthly, I also either have a meeting in Milton Keynes or Birmingham. So that day is much longer. I normally make sure that I have a working from home day that week if I have had a long trip and take some of the travelling time back.

So in total I average out around 32 hours ( if I work at home for two out of the four days, 35 hours if I commute all four day).
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family