New Post Advanced Search

UK Hols and Theatre

Please check the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the confirmed info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

For any specific Coronavirus related queries please post on the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

York, Disabled parking / access?

8 replies 2K views
knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
5.8K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
We plan to visit York tomorrow, Viking centre, railway museum, Church with Van Gogh experience and wonder if it is possible to park somewhere convenient using blue badge.
Don't mind paying a fair price for the day. I see park and ride will cost £9, if this is best which of their car parks should we use? We will come from the South so up the A1m and then A64?

Replies

• k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    York and parking really don't go together but depending on disability/mobility I'd head for Castle or Piccadilly car parks - both of these adjoin the Viking museum/Van Gogh experience

https://www.york.gov.uk/BlueBadgeParking

The National Rail Museum is a fair walk away at the other side of town but again has free parking

https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/visit/facilities-and-accessibility

Enjoy your visit (and bring an umbrella)
  • WeAreGhostsWeAreGhosts Forumite
    3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always found the Railway Museum staff very helpful. If the accessible parking spaces are full, do ask before you pay to park (there's a £10 per day car park across the road), they might have other options.

York isn't the most accessible city, due to its age, there's a number of cobbles and steps up to shops, but the attractions should be as accessible as possible. I know the Railway Museum is (and it's large and spacious). The Viking Centre might be an issue:
    "As most of the attraction is underground, wheelchair access to the JORVIK Viking Centre is restricted to one wheelchair user in the building at any one time." Not sure how that works. They have a decent info page: https://www.jorvikvikingcentre.co.uk/visit/access/#wheelchair
  • knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for quick useful replies, we will not have a wheelchair but one of us has limited mobility and more than a couple of steps is a problem.
    Looking forward to our visit but weather isn't looking too good!
    Now getting post codes for sat nav.
  • WeAreGhostsWeAreGhosts Forumite
    3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for quick useful replies, we will not have a wheelchair but one of us has limited mobility and more than a couple of steps is a problem.
    Looking forward to our visit but weather isn't looking too good!
    Now getting post codes for sat nav.

Oops, sorry. I was sure I'd read wheelchair somewhere.
    Hope you have a great day (despite the weather).
  • knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, we had a great day inspite of the rain! Parking was a doddle, free in the castle car park and then we parked, free again, by the entrance to the railway museum, we missed the entrance first time, signs are confusing.
  • k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    we missed the entrance first time, signs are confusing.
    Probably because there are 2 entrances :rotfl:
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed the day. York is my favourite place in England. I live aboutvtwice a month and love it.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For anyone thinking of travelling by car to York for the Christmas market, the park and ride price is £3.20 for an adult return ticket. This is the park and ride from the Designer Outlet YO19 4TA to York city centre.

The bendy buses are wheelchair accessible. I saw someone in a motorised wheelchair get on and off the bus yesterday.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.