PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas cards...the lack thereof

Options

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fusspot wrote: »
    I make my own cards so I am in favour of sending them, its one of my hobbies.

I agree that Christmas cards can get a lot as you send them out all at the same time, unlike birthdays and other occasions and the postage in one go can cost which is why I use second class post and try to hand deliver as much as I can.

As much as I love email I don't like e-cards, they are so impersonal.

I don't like ecards either. It's not as though you can put them on the mantlepiece.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• unrecordings
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    I don't like ecards either. It's not as though you can put them on the mantlepiece.

Although you could technically with one of those digital photo frames. I wouldn't personally, but horses for courses...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I always smile at a card from an elderly contact who every year jokingly writes "still not dead yet !"

I found that since I'm not a very sociable person, I have to send an email to this effect to my acquaintances around the world on a regular basis, which reminds me...

• VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’ve always endorsed the sending of cards as it’s an acknowledgement of family members we never see however I now keep the cards received the year before and those people receive one in return. It’s an acknowledgement that they still enjoy the tradition so I reciprocate. It’s not the writing and distribution that bothers me but the cost.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 December 2019 at 11:03PM
    Options
    This in the news this afternoon
    While they've bought breathing space until the new year, I bet they go under in January unless they come up with a radical plan that keeps them afloat until next xmas (cards with prepaid postage maybe)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50656110

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I used to keep a note of who sent me cards the previous years etc. but this year, we've decided not to send cards and donate what we would have spent to a local charity.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    this year, we've decided not to send cards and donate what we would have spent to a local charity.

Do you let people know the amount you have given to charity or is it a bit of an honesty thing?
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Do you let people know the amount you have given to charity or is it a bit of an honesty thing?

It's the first time I've done this but it's none of their business really - I wouldn't tell them how much I spent on the card would I?

As your asking though, I reckon I spent around £25 last year on cards & postage so this is the amount we're looking to give.
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    So, we have finally completed the cards. With guidance mum wrote some and at the same time I wrote some of hers and sneaked them onto the pile as I addressed them (printed labels). As she wrote each one she passed it to me to address and I was able to add my name and that of my aunt.
    Even with a cut down list she still wanted to send 30 (10 hand/20 posted) but only wrote six herself. She didn't notice I'd done 24!
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok... don't see what bearing it has on this thread though.

I was just pondering on the number of people who say they don't like to see " tradition" being eroded but not only do we all have our own traditions, some of those traditions aren't as long-standing as many think. I am all for people doing their own thing without worrying whether it is "the right thing" to do - but even that (the worrying) is their prerogative.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure