Holiday name change advice

Options
Hi
I booked a holiday a while back with a friend. The holiday is 3 nights Hong Kong, 7 day Vietnam cruise and 3 nights in Singapore. Flights and rooms included. The friend has had 2nd thoughts and told me to offer her place to someone else, which I did. The holiday company wanted £380 for the name change. I don't see that the new person should be made to pay this so I offered to go halves with the person that pulled out. I returned her £500 deposit minus the £190 for her half of the name change but she is now demanding that money back. Is there anything that legally says who is liable for this?
She is asking for a breakdown of the charges. In the Ts & Cs it states that there is a £50 charge for every component that needs to have the name changed on it. So that's 4 flights (stopovers), 2 hotel rooms and the cruiseline. She won't accept that and the holiday company says that they are unable to provide a more detailed breakdown because the holiday is an ABTA package.
Can anyone shed any light on any of this?

Comments

• bradders1983
    Options
    In all honesty your friend should be stumping up the entire name change cost.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Would not just the actual total amendment charge from the tour operator/travel agent not be sufficient to show your friend what the cost to make the changes is? Any further breakdown should not be necessary.

I think you are being very fair about the costs. Did she really expect a full refund and for the new person (or you) to pay the name change costs as well?
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I assume this person is now a former friend!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Simply tell the friend that there are two options 1. Pay the cost of the name changes or, 2. Lose the entire cost of the holiday.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Simply tell the friend that there are two options 1. Pay the cost of the name changes or, 2. Lose the entire cost of the holiday.
    Seconded.

She is the sole cause of this issue.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »

thirded....
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »

Fourthed! ........
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business