How to withdraw money in old Bradford & Bingley Account

I have found an old Bradford & Bingley Account Book which shows a balance I have had in since 1982. No one has ever contacted me from Santander upon them taking over old Bradford & Bingley accounts and I would like to withdraw my account money as I have proof of account in the form of my old payment book.

Can anyone advise who to contact in Santander and how to get my building society account money back?

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,963 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bellseybup wrote: »
    I have found an old Bradford & Bingley Account Book which shows a balance I have had in since 1982. No one has ever contacted me from Santander upon them taking over old Bradford & Bingley accounts and I would like to withdraw my account money as I have proof of account in the form of my old payment book.

Can anyone advise who to contact in Santander and how to get my building society account money back?

Thanks for your help :)
    Santander customer services would be a good place to start.
  • Bellseybup wrote: »

That's a nice bit of good luck, hopefully it's more than the 20p that I once found in an old post office savings book :)

Just be aware that having the book is not necessarily proof to Santander that the account hasn't been closed/transferred at some point.

I'd need several hands on which to count the number of times that I've read of passbooks being found (sometimes with quite a lot of money) that people have thought were open, but when handed over to the bank/building society they find that actually the account had been closed or transferred at some point in the long forgotten past - passbooks didn't always get updated and that can cause confusion when they're found many years later.

Santander will probably need to do some digging into their/B&B archives and that could take a while for a 37 year old account, so don't spend the money until they confirm there actually is money there. Best of luck.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    As Notepad Phil says, it's very easy for a paying in book to be mislaid and for a replacement to have been provided. Years later someone finds the lost paying in book, in which transactions mysteriously stop suddenly (perhaps in 1982).

Finding that book does not in anyway constitute proof that you are owed the money recorded in it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure