PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House not selling....help?

Options
Link: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-84348692.html

Put on market for 300k which was middle of 7 valuations.
Sold in 6 days, but buyers pulled out a few weeks before exchange.
Remarketed for 290, then reduced to 280 about 6 weeks ago.

No valuable feedback from a dozen viewings.

Now seen a house I like, but is it best to wait til new year now, or reduce another 10k? It will get a bit tight at that, but I could manage.....

Any opinions?

Ta

Comments

• diggingdude
    Options
    Its a a very nice house but can you take the bed out of the conservatory?
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • langtonhighway
    Options
    That was being used as my daughter's"bed sit" to giver her her own space. It isn't like that now, she's moved back upstairs, and I've asked the agents to do new pics of that room and the dining room.

Funnily enough no one has mentioned it when giving feedback. I guess I thought if they were that unimaginative they probably weren't serious buyers anyway lol
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A quick look through, and there's nothing that stands out as being absolutely scary about it. The price can't be ridiculous, because you've already had one buyer lined up. Why did they pull out?

So - more detailed/picky view.
    The first pic is too "arty". Just show the house normally.
    I would say to move some interior pics forward, and the garden backwards, but pic 3, the view shot works well - but then gets duplicated by 13.
    Pics 5 & 6 duplicate each other.
    Are 10 & 11 the same room? If so, then 11's too arty again - it makes the colour look... "individual".
    15 - maybe lose the chair, it makes the room look small.
    18 and 19 don't add anything - you've already shown the view. 21 duplicates 3.
    What's 22 meant to be? Just a random country lane pic?

Comparables:
    Not much immediately local, but what there is makes yours look reasonable.

£5k cheaper, yours is much nicer - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-85930913.html

£20k more, more squished in, no view or garage - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63896814.html

£45k+ more, and I prefer yours - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-85740353.html

So it might simply be that there's not many people looking at the moment...

(Are you really using the conservatory as a bedroom? Open into the living room...? It certainly answers the "Why are you selling?" question - more space needed...!)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Purely observations.

Road noise from By-Pass?

Is the monthly £38 contribution to community space upkeep fixed. Is there additional liability for road maintenance etc.
  • Yalpsmol
    Yalpsmol Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    I would say definitely get the photos redone. The first one makes the place look haunted (what's the mad blue stuff too!?). The others leave me a bit confused as to what I am looking at- the room with a small table in and a sofa looks like a very small living room at first and then you see the actual living room (with a bed in it). Too much duplication too and one of the outside photos on a dull day isnt doing much. dont need 22 photos for a 3 bed. I think it will be way more appealing with new photos.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Your house is 'lived in' of course - that's life. However for your photos you really should try to show the best side possible. Definitely avoid photographing it on a stormy day from a low angle - it can look like a house of horrors. Try to get all the photos level. Sometimes it's just the little things - but trailing cables from tv's could be temporarily unplugged and hidden for the house photos - a nice new shot of the open airy conservatory - again for the sake of the pictures - take the boxes off the top of the wardrobe - reduce the clutter in the shower gels and shampoos - take the large bunch of coats off the back of the door - look at the detail. As I say - you live in the house - and that's what living in a house looks like (please don't think I'm saying the house is messy - as it's very much not!) - but to get peoples attention - get the detail right in the pictures - and then you'll be halfway there I'm sure.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The conservatory ceiling looks awful and like its about to come down on your head, fix that.

I say stick to your current price, but be open to offers under.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    lets look at what people are buying.
    forsale/SSTC

more like this 3 miles upto £325k
    price...3b.....4b+
    0-200 03/06
    0-250 09/11
    0-260 12/12
    0-270 13/13 03/0
    0-280 16/14 05/1
    0-290 17/14 06/3
    0-300 23/15 09/3
    0-325 25/17 12/6

These 3 beds have offers on them.

£300k
    £275k
    £270k
    £260k

Sold prices in the last year 3miles.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    This won't be helping

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Lowdham_Grange

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/hmp-lowdham-grange-riots-lasted-3210605

looking at the planning site something about who owns the access road does not look right when you look at
    No. 16 The Green,
    Lowdham,
    Nottingham,
    NG14 67DD
  • langtonhighway
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments. I've spoken to the agent about new pics. I am getting viewings though, so it can't just be that.

We weren't really short of space, I needed two lodgers to pay the mortgage after my marriage break up, and daughter enjoyed the large lounge and conservatory for herself. And yes, the roof has been sorted;)

When it initially sold I gave notice to the lodgers and so now she has moved back upstairs and the lounge is once again the lounge.

The prison can't be seen or heard and neither can the road which is over the hill. I can't do much about that anyway.....

I've lived here 25 years and am only moving away to live with my new partner. I'm using the equity to help daughter buy a small house.

The driveway is owned by all the residents equally and the management charge is in case repairs are ever necessary, although it is currently in good repair.

I'm just wondering what to do now, reduce again or wait til new year and the election/Brexit is over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure