PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Laminate Flooring - Noise Nuisance

Options
Hi

This topic has probably been raised many times before but I am so depressed I am not sure what to do and wonder if anyone has any advice.

I have lived in a council flat for many years and in the last 10 years the flat above has had laminate flooring. The flat is privately owned (The tenancy states you can lay laminate with the Council's permission, however I cannot get an answer as to whether permission was given).

The noise is horrendous I cannot eat or sleep properly (sometimes the tenants move around all night) There is also DIY, running, slamming of doors at all hours. I want to go up and talk to them but the previous tenants were rude and intimidating and I am a bit scared in case these are the same.

I know it is not all the tenants fault it is the owners for laying the laminate flooring in the first place, but I am not sure what to do. The council doesn't really know what to do either apart from telling me they cannot enforce them to take up the flooring. I would be happy if they would put carpet down but I know the owners did not want to do this. Would it be a good idea to get a solicitor or maybe write to the local councillor for help?

Comments

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Go and speak to the neighbours.

Just because the last lot were idiots doesn't mean these will be.

Be calm when you go around and don't raise your voice and explain the noise transmission between the properties.
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If possible see if one of them would be prepared to visit your flat and have the other one moved around upstairs. This way they would be able to see how much noise you have being living with.
    I was thinking of installing laminate flooring in my first floor flat for the new tenants, you are the second person you have written in about the noise issue, so now I have decided to install carpet
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Socajam wrote: »
    If possible see if one of them would be prepared to visit your flat and have the other one moved around upstairs. This way they would be able to see how much noise you have being living with.
    I was thinking of installing laminate flooring in my first floor flat for the new tenants, you are the second person you have written in about the noise issue, so now I have decided to install carpet

Your tenants will thank you, Socajam. Imho, any flooring other than carpet over good quality underlay should be illegal in flats... In anything other than detached houses, ideally but considerate neighbours can make all the difference, I vaguely recall.

OP, my advice would be to try the council again and escalate until you get somewhere. I have yet to come across a council whose first response is anything other than to deny all knowledge and pass the buck. Their default setting is Utterly Useless; anything over that takes a long time and a great deal of hard work but can, eventually, bear fruit.

I wish you luck.
  • Alex123456
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. I finally went up to the tenants. I didn't shout or argue. I just calmly told them the flooring was the problem and maybe a carpet or rug may help. They said it wouldn't and were just as bad as the previous tenants, completely apathetic. Last night was the worst night: I have a feeling they deliberately created even more noise. I haven't slept for ages and it is so stressful as I feel like crying all the time.
  • Alex123456 wrote: »
    Thank you for all your replies. I finally went up to the tenants. I didn't shout or argue. I just calmly told them the flooring was the problem and maybe a carpet or rug may help. They said it wouldn't and were just as bad as the previous tenants, completely apathetic. Last night was the worst night: I have a feeling they deliberately created even more noise. I haven't slept for ages and it is so stressful as I feel like crying all the time.

you need to move
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would try a decent set of noiseless headphones playing something I like to listen to that is relaxing. i dealt with a neighbours constantly barking dogs this way. Only problem is I now also don't hear the postman knocking.

I can also wear them if sleeping is difficult.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    I really sympathise, I am a very light sleeper and my bugbear is American hotel room doors that seem to have the loudest slamming mechanism on them.

I have tried all sorts of earplugs but they usually fall out in the night or are uncomfortable. Somebody recommended these to me and I've had them about six months and they are fantastic. They fit nicely and stay in all night. They have a little tube in them so you can still hear your alarm. They are expensive but are lasting well and have helped me sleep properly at night - Senner SleepPro earplugs
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bose QC35 work for me
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    Alex123456 wrote: »

Sorry to hear this.

It might not be what you want to hear but moving may possibly be your best option.

We put up with noisy neighbours for 12 years and it was only when we moved into a detached house in April this year that we realised just what an effect it had had on our lives. We are all much happier now including the dog who is much more settled in the new house.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 November 2019 at 12:00PM
    Options
    I have lived with really noisy people below me but have also been on the other side of this argument before.

When i first moved into my new flat, within a couple of weeks i started being harassed by a downstairs neighbour who kept knocking on my door trying to bully me into tip toeing around in my new home & complaining about every tiny little sound. It got to a point that i couldn't even walk from one side of the room to the other without him shouting abuse up at me.

I even wondered if perhaps i was making a lot of noise but just wasn't aware of it He became so obsessed with his bullying campaign that he then reported me to the council for antisocial behaviour & influenced other residents to complain about me as well.

The outcome was that he ended up being evicted himself after causing months of harassment & antisocial behaviour of his own with his unreasonable complaints & nuisance behaviour. It was proven with recording equipment that nothing other than normal everyday household sounds was being made & that my neighbour was being completely unreasonable and causing harassment.

What i am trying to say is are you absolutely sure you are not focusing too much on every little sound because you had issues with previous neighbours? I genuinely really was not causing or even trying to cause any unreasonable noise in my flat & was vindicated with recording equipment, but the man below me described normal household movement and sounds in a similar way to yourself - that it was constant & keeping him awake.

If indeed your perception of the noise is worse than the actual noise itself then perhaps living in such close proximity to other people is not for you & maybe you need to think about moving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure