V2H and V2G

Options

Comments

• JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am aware that the OVO V2G trial has been mentioned elsewhere but this links gives details and answers some of the questions about having a battery sufficiently charged when needed.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/vehicle-to-grid-charger
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • JKenH
    Options
    Not exactly new news but confirmation that Nissan is actually advocating using and has developed the new Leaf for V2H. It is just a little frustrating that there seems to be no active roll out of the technology. I have enquired over the past couple of months at Nissan dealers about V2H technology but no one seems to know anything about it.

https://ww.electrek.co/2018/11/28/nissan-energy-leaf-vehicle-to-home-building/
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • JKenH
    Options
    EVandPV wrote: »
    Our reception isn't fantastic downstairs either. Oddly, it's better upstairs but our meter is downstairs.
    Just keeping my fingers crossed it's good enough to get us the meter required for Octopus Go.

Do you mind me enquiring about the distance between the Zappi sensor clip and your charging station? My incoming mains feed is on the opposite side of the house to where I might site a charger with several solid walls in between and having had issues with my IBoost signal I just wondered if I should be similarly concerned about signal problems with the Zappi.
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    Do you mind me enquiring about the distance between the Zappi sensor clip and your charging station? My incoming mains feed is on the opposite side of the house to where I might site a charger with several solid walls in between and having had issues with my IBoost signal I just wondered if I should be similarly concerned about signal problems with the Zappi.

Our Zappi is on the wall directly behind our CU and the CT clamps are hard wired so no issues there.
    The CT cable that comes with the Zappi is 5 metres but you can extend that with cat5 cable.
    There's also the option of the Myenergie Harvi which transmits wirelessly from the clamp to the Zappi.

https://myenergi.com/product/harvi/
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • EVandPV
    Options
    Just came across this while checking something else out .....

https://octopus.energy/blog/vehicle-to-grid/
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • Yeti1980
    Options
    My wife and I are looking to replace an old diesel car and wanted to get an EV.

We have provisionally signed up for the Octopus Powerloop V2G trial mentioned in the link EVandPV posted.

A new model Nissan Leaf is leased from Octopus EV on PCH so if V2G charging causes any issue with the battery it'll be down to Powerloop/Nissan to rectify.

To answer a question mentioned by someone else, on the Powerloop scheme there is an app to accompany the V2G charger in which you can set how far you estimate you'll need to drive the next day and when you'll need to unplug the car so that it can ensure you'll have enough charge in the car. The terms also state that they will always leave enough charge in the battery to do at least 40 miles 'in case of an emergency or unexpected need'.
  • JKenH
    edited 26 November 2019 at 9:35AM
    Options
    Yeti1980 wrote: »
    My wife and I are looking to replace an old diesel car and wanted to get an EV.

We have provisionally signed up for the Octopus Powerloop V2G trial mentioned in the link EVandPV posted.

A new model Nissan Leaf is leased from Octopus EV on PCH so if V2G charging causes any issue with the battery it'll be down to Powerloop/Nissan to rectify.

To answer a question mentioned by someone else, on the Powerloop scheme there is an app to accompany the V2G charger in which you can set how far you estimate you'll need to drive the next day and when you'll need to unplug the car so that it can ensure you'll have enough charge in the car. The terms also state that they will always leave enough charge in the battery to do at least 40 miles 'in case of an emergency or unexpected need'.

It certainly looks an interesting offer. If your car battery completes just 12 cycles a month from 6pm to 5am you get £30 cash back which reduces the lease cost of the Nissan Leaf to £269/month. Includes a free charger so great if you are just thinking of getting a new EV for the first time. I would love to join to get a brand new Leaf but see the scheme is restricted to London, East Anglia and the South East. I think that my lack of network coverage might rule me out anyway as it requires the installation of a smart meter.

The Wallbox charger appears to be the same one advertised as being suitable for V2H as well but there is no mention of that in the scheme details. The charger costs about £1250 on its own.
  • EVandPV
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    If your car battery completes just 12 cycles a month from 6pm to 5am you get £30 cash back which reduces the lease cost of the Nissan Leaf to £269/month.

It's actually £299 with the £30 cashback, but still a decent deal.
  • JKenH
    Options
    EVandPV wrote: »
    It's actually £299 with the £30 cashback, but still a decent deal.

Yes, had just noticed that, so thanks for the correction. I also noticed that Leaf is available from Octopus EV outside the scheme at £280/month with a lower deposit.

https://www.octopusev.com/carsinfo
  • JKenH
    Options
    I registered on the Wallbox website to try and get hold of one of their Quasar bidirectional chargers.

The figure I had previously seen of £1200 is only a deposit! When going to place an order the next message is

Reserve your Quasar today for £1,200 and pay the remaining £4,200 upon delivery in the first quarter of 2020.
    Total price: £5,400 (VAT included)

This makes the free Quasar charger available with the OVO trial very attractive. Grab one while you can!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback