Start at the very beginning

Ok. 2020 is gonna be OUR YEAR.
Saif that for the past 3yrs. Mean it.
I want to minimise outgoings and maximise incomings.
Currently I work in a supermarket, and spend rest of day with my wife n 2 kids or doing surveys.
Wife has been out of work for 1yr recently getting a job as a classroom assistant.
So. 1st job is looling at outgoings and where to cut back.....
Can anyone advise on their technique for this?
I am not sure if I am paying too much on food or heating etc
MD

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,629 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you work in a supermarket, do you not get any staff discount on food? Also you should be able to pick out own brand products as being better value.

Regarding heating, turn thermostat(s) down a degree or so and wear warmer clothing and don't heat unnecessary areas/rooms (or just on low heat)
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • So sick of working TWO jobs, and not making progress.
    So disheartening.
    This was not how I thought life would be.
    Yes we get 10% discount, but food is soooo expensive!
  • lincroft1710
    It sounds as if you are buying expensive brands or expensive food types
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Family of 4, with 10% discount. Works out £40 a week - is that too much?
  • lincroft1710
    £40 a week? For 4? That's £10 pp, pw! I'd say you were doing great at those prices. OH often spends £20 pw at market just on fruit and veg, and there's just 2 of us! That is before we calculate our weekly Lidl/Tesco shop!
  • lincroft1710
    Maryy wrote: »
    Absolutely I agree. We get used to it very quickly. But how can we beat it?

But he's not!! He only spends £40 a week!
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ok. 2020 is gonna be OUR YEAR.
    Currently I work in a supermarket, and spend rest of day with my wife n 2 kids or doing surveys.
    Wife has been out of work for 1yr recently getting a job as a classroom assistant.
    MD

You could start by learning how to spell? :rotfl:
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There are plenty of ideas on how to cut outgoings in other sections of the forum, this bit is more about increasing what comes in. You might find more detailed answers in other areas.

Of course, you can only reduce outgoings so far, and at that point you are wise to consider how you can bring in more. Again, there are lots of threads in here with different suggestions. I did a few surveys, but never enough to actually get any money out, and it started to seem like quite a lot of time for a very small return.
  • Ok. 2020 is gonna be OUR YEAR.
    MD

Glad you get staff discount on food, obviously make the most of that UNLESS you're in a situation where, for example, 10% off Waitrose food is more expensive than shopping full-price at Aldi. When I worked retail there was a staff reductions area in the warehouse where we got to buy opened, battered, or incomplete items that we couldn't put on the shopfloor, do you have anything like that? I recall buying alcohol miniatures for 50p, bags of satsumas or veg for 5p, that kind of thing.

Are there any other workplace perks you could be exploiting? Investing may be the last thing on your mind as you might reasonably think it's just for rich people, but if your workplace has a Sharesave scheme, that may represent some of the easiest money you can make. The downside is that you usually have to commit for at least 3 years before you start seeing anything back. Are you contributing to your workplace pension?

In my experience, survey sites are a very poor hourly rate of earning. You'd be better off working at an additional part time job, but if you have to do something at home (to be around for the kids), what about finding something niche you can buy and sell on ebay or Facebook Groups? Ideally something you already have interest and expertise in so you don't need to use much time becoming familiar with the subject.

Use a comparison site to see if you could be saving money on gas, electric, and internet. If you can switch, do so.
    : )
  • lincroft1710
    Glad you get staff discount on food, obviously make the most of that UNLESS you're in a situation where, for example, 10% off Waitrose food is more expensive than shopping full-price at Aldi. When I worked retail there was a staff reductions area in the warehouse where we got to buy opened, battered, or incomplete items that we couldn't put on the shopfloor, do you have anything like that? I recall buying alcohol miniatures for 50p, bags of satsumas or veg for 5p, that kind of thing.

He spends £40 a week on food for a family of 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure