Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• paula7924
    paula7924 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    I just wanted to warn people that the comparison sites are not showing the correct prices for Eon tariffs - my online extra saver standing charge 5 has price increases of 26% from 22 August (energyhelpline.com has the old ones, ukpower.co.uk and moneysupermarket.com have something in the middle) so make sure you check the calculations carefully.

The new rates are:
    Gas 21.8295 pday + 3.5574 kwh
    Elec 34.356 pday + 10.8255 kwh.

The rates on energy saver 8 are probably better unless you are a very low user

Gas 2680 kwh@ 4.5696 kwh then 2.9127 kwh
    Elec 900 kwh@ 17.682 kwh then 10.6155 kwh.
    The direct debit/online billing discount is 14.7% not 18.6%
    My name is Paula and I am a low carber :kiss: 1/6/08-83kg : 1/5/10-57kg :kiss: (Atkins/IPD) 24/1/13 - 69kg! Yikes!:cry::cry:
  • irrelevant
    irrelevant Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've only just had the newsletter, which mentions the new Scotish Power capped tariff, which might end today! Sure enough, there is nothing on their website any more, at least in the menus. I found the prices here though. We've already signed up to their fixed-until-sept09 offer, though. Comparing the two prices, the unit costs of the gas & electricity are the same, at least for our area. The standing charge (or load on first so many units) is cheaper however. By about £39 ex vat over the year. Now, the letter says if I change tariff, there's cancellation charges of £30 & £20 f(inc vat) or gas & electric...

I guess I should phone them ....
  • auditgirly
    Options
    i managed to get on the scottish power capped dual fuel tarrif but after a few weeks wait got a letter today saying they couldnt offer me gas as the national grid says i use 73268 kwh per annum. i only use 7300 kwh pa and reading about scottish powers rubbish customer service im not looking forward to trying to fix it. has anyone else been on the receiving end of shoddy customer service from scottish power since the cap race ended? i surely cant be the only one? i switched my mum too and am dreading her getting anything similar as she will worry herself sick.:mad:
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Scottish Power's web site is a bit clunky - not keen on that purple toaster telling me I cannot get to my account:rolleyes:

However when I got very shoddy treatment by an organisation that does not know its elbow from its rear end (NP), I migrated back to SP and the transaction was handled almost too efficiently.

I would do any dealings over the net, clearly quoting your and your meter's reference numbers. The wrong meter reading could well be the fault of the meter reader and the rubbish design of the meter (Read by Accuread & installed by EDF in the case of my electricity meter.).

Good luck

John.
  • Rubydoo_2
    Options
    I'm thinking of leaving nPower and signing up to British Gas capped tariff until September 2011, electricity only. Does anyone know if this is a reasonable rate and worthwhile switching?
  • mau408
    mau408 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hike Hike Hike - Their prices have gone up!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7588375.stm

Martin will hopefully update his article this weekend.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    mau408 wrote: »
    Martin will hopefully update his article this weekend.
    He's on [STRIKE]holiday[/STRIKE]annual leave, isn't he?
  • mau408
    mau408 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Haaa. Maybe that'll explain why no answer to

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=213512
  • billbo44
    Options
    do i have to clear my account with my current provider before i switch or can i just set my dd to clear this?
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    billbo44 wrote: »
    do i have to clear my account with my current provider before i switch or can i just set my dd to clear this?

When the new supplier takes over, they inform the old supplier (they will probably phone/write/e-mail you to change your mind), but ultimately they will send you a final bill.
    Thank you for reading this message.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure