New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Being made redundant

6 replies 987 views
Matt_cMatt_c Forumite
3 posts
Good morning can anyone help me please I was told last week I will be being made redundant at the end if the month when I asked how does my redundancy pay work I got told as I have 4 weeks notice I dont get any redundancy pay is this right can any one help please
I did look on the Gov page but the way thaybword things confuses me

Thank you for any help :)

Replies

• How long have you worked there?
  • 3 years this or next week I forget exact dates
  • Also depends on your age:

Redundancy pay
    You’ll normally be entitled to statutory redundancy pay if you’re an employee and you’ve been working for your current employer for 2 years or more.

You’ll get:

half a week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
    one week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
    one and half week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older
    Length of service is capped at 20 years.

If you were made redundant on or after 6 April 2019, your weekly pay is capped at £525 and the maximum statutory redundancy pay you can get is £15,750. If you were made redundant before 6 April 2019, these amounts will be lower.
  • Thank you dam this is so stressful. So them saying because I've had notice I do t get redundancy pay is rubbish then
  • edited 11 November 2019 at 5:17PM
    blue.peterblue.peter Forumite
    188 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 11 November 2019 at 5:17PM
    Matt_c wrote: »
    Thank you dam this is so stressful. So them saying because I've had notice I do t get redundancy pay is rubbish then
    Yes. You have an entitlement in law to a minimum amount of redundancy pay. I don't know the amount offhand, but am happy to accept stripeyfox's figures: they look about right. Saying that giving you notice means no redundancy pay is a nonsense. You are entitled to both - notice as a contractual right, and redundancy pay as a statutory right.

(Some employers pay more than the statutory minimum, but it sounds as if you'll have your work cut out getting only the minimum. You have my sympathy. If your employer refuses to pay even the minimum, you might need to consult a solicitor.)

Edit

Incidentally, the first £30,000 of any redundancy pay is tax free. In your case, it sounds as if that might be all of it.

You should also be paid for any holiday to which you're entitled but haven't taken by the date of leaving.
  • vacheronvacheron Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like your employer may be thinking that they are "giving" you 4 weeks extra pay due to your notice and this is more than the 3 weeks pay your term of employment entitles you to.

This opinion is of course wrong, but I have seen employers beleive stupider things than that before.

They could be asking you not to return to work during your notice period (often referred to as "Gardening leave"), or offering you payment in lieu of notice (PILON), but neither of these affects your entitlement to redundancy pay.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki