Automated Nuisance Calls increasing

Options

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    No idea what you do with your phones, but all the BT ones I have used have worked fine for years.

Yep, had a BT 8500 for over four years and never had either a problem with the phone or any nuisance calls in that period.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    hareng wrote: »
    ALL these scammers change the numbers they are calling from daily. They buy in block what you think are legit UK numbers

This is simply misinformation.

The numbers seen via "caller display" are simply spoofed via technology which assigns each call a random number. The scammers don't have to (nor could they) purchase UK telephone numbers for use abroad...
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    Who mentioned businesses?
    Well some of us work from home run a business!

Duh, they don't "buy in block" they just spoof the caller ID with any old number. But so what, if it is not on your allowed call list it doesn't get through.
    Common fact Great British call centres buy block recognised by TPS and Action Fraud, rarely do anything.

Again useless for any calls other than on white list! So when your 'long lost friend (if you have any) gets your number he/she won get through'! Rather pointless comment.

No idea what you do with your phones, but all the BT ones I have used have worked fine for years.
    We use them and less than a normal person does they dont last.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is it just me or is everyone experiencing a noticeable increase in automated nuisance calls i.e. where a computerised voice tells you that your broadband or phone line or computer etc is about to be disconnected etc, and how you need to press 1 (or something else) to talk to someone to prevent the impending disaster!

Not everyone, no. I rarely get these calls. Even the calls for the guy who used to have this number 8 years ago are petering out.
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    mgfvvc wrote: »
    Not everyone, no. I rarely get these calls.
    Interesting, I wonder why, especially if the calls are just made to random numbers...? Is there anything special or unusual about your number?
  • phoenix1837
    Options
    I don't use a landline for a phone, only got it for broadband so my phone is my mobile. If the number is not saved in my phone it gets ignored, if it is important and number isn't already saved in my phone (like the bank or doctor etc as they use various lines) they will leave a message.
  • sfry
    sfry Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I am being rung several times a day now and it is infuriating, "BT" saying I am going to be cut off.

I normally use Sky's call guard which works brilliantly at screening them out but I have to have this turned off now as my husband is in hospital and calls from the hospital and various services always come through as number withheld and I daren't risk missing anything important.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Interesting, I wonder why, especially if the calls are just made to random numbers...? Is there anything special or unusual about your number?

I'm another who rarely gets nuisance calls to my landline, which is a shame as I love stringing them along when I get them on my mobile.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

I have no idea why I seem to be less affected than many.

I may just be lucky.

It may be that we mostly hear from the unlucky people who are badly affected and most people are less affected than we think.

It may also be less random than we think and there are databases of active numbers being sold in the same way that email lists are sold and I am lucky enough not to appear in those databases.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WARNING!!! if your with Vodafone and get a call follow it up quickly...

Wife picked the phone up and an automated message saying the phone will be disconnected in 24 hours, the call was so quick she barely had a chance to hear everything. Assumed it to be a scam.

3 hours later the landline is dead.....

We have mobiles and the broadband on the same account, no late payments ever so not a payment issue. Its the free landline with the BB package which does not end for another 8 months. All other phones and BB still working fine.

Number still rings if you call it but no power to the line, call blocker shows no power.

Called 191 and its been over 1 hour with no contact with a real person yet.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure