Worcester Bosch 32CDi Compact Condensing Combi Boiler questions

Options
13»

Comments

• ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought new boilers had to have an annual service noted in the log book as a condition of the guarantee.

I usually use myboilerservice.com who've been fine, and have good feedback on Trustpilot.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 November 2019 at 6:52PM
    Options
    In the end it's up to you, you either pay or you dont - it's a bit like insurance, you hope that it's not necessary but if the boiler breaks down and it costs you £500 or so because the warranty conditions weren't observed then hopefully you've saved up for it.

Please bear in mind that the bloke who comes to do it will probably have spent quite a lot of money getting qualified and certified (and it's an ongoing requirement and cost to maintain his certification).

It's his time, travelling expense, expertise, tools, van, insurance and anything else that you can think of that allows him to do his job.

Not forgetting that he'll have to pay tax on what he gets from you as well, so all in all if he only charges £50 an hour then it's pretty good value.

BTW I'm not a gas engineer, I just realise that there are a lot of costs and time involved to get a bloke round to your house just to do what you consider is a trivial task
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »
    When you say pumps its not just 1 pump is it?

So you suggesting the boiler servicing market pricing should follow the oil market pricing that we all already know the oil market is worth trillions owned by the filthy rich few.

So you dont mind paying £100+ for a 2 mins emissions check? If I fill my car with £100 fuel it will drive longer than 2 mins!

This thread is becoming a rant where there is a hint of biased replies who wont admit they are in the boiler service market to try justify the outrageous biggest scam boiler service charges.

I have a feeling this scam will come on watchdog soon ;)

Is it not just one pump? Most systems have one pump, either integral to the boiler or external; some might have more. But I simply suggested that pumps are a weak point as they're one of the few elements of a heating system with moving parts. I made no comment on the number of pumps, but you have started making assumptions on something I didn't write.

I wasn't suggesting anything to do with the oil market. Are you having problems with basic English? I was using the cost of filling a car as a comparison of relative costs.

The ranting is all yours. The last visit to check my boiler took more than two minutes and included a check of the full gas installation for leaks/safety.

You seem to be avoiding my advice - ask the manufacturer. You appear to know better than them, believing that a boiler is as complex as a car engine and seemingly needs a full strip down annually (which even a car doesn't).

When you've found out Worcester's service schedule I'm sure other readers will be interested to hear it.
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately its a major reason we wont have a modern boiler. What we have is original home build 1984 for hot water and Central heating gas cost about £300 a year.

About 5 years ago it had a strip down, burner and castings as good as the day installed no carbon build up at all. Usually requires pilot and thermocouple every 2 1/2 years thats it at £17. Pumps cheap enough so are valves, replaced once in 35 years.

Now i do understand minimum callout charges and hours labour, but having to undertake a £3200 install and pay £120 a year is even more costly over 10 to 12 years when a new boilers required.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In order to retain the warranty, you will need to have it serviced annually. Fixing faulty modern boilers can be an expensive business hence the need to have it installed and serviced by competent people.Note that holding a gas safe ticket is not a guarantee of competency /ability/quality ! Each boiler manuf supplies often free training on their range of products to installers/engineers and you can obtain manufacturer accreditation. Additionally, most manufs have their own direct service networks. I have known plenty of boilers that have not been correctly installed/serviced and the manufs have voided the warranty when a claim was made. My boiler is coming up to 40 years old.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure