IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Thousands of appeals against London's ultra low emission zone fines upheld - MSE News

edited 7 November 2019 at 12:12PM in Motoring
9 replies 1.2K views
Former_MSE_CallumFormer_MSE_Callum Former MSE
696 Posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
✭✭
edited 7 November 2019 at 12:12PM in Motoring
Almost 19,000 penalty charges issued for driving in London's new ultra low emission zone have been successfully appealed, new figures obtained by MoneySavingExpert.com reveal...
Read the full story:
'Thousands of appeals against London's ultra low emission zone fines upheld'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• my 81 year old mother was aware of the low emissions zone and when asked to drive her disabled friend into central London went online to ensure she paid in advance of the date. She typed into google and found the first website which took payment of £19 and sent her an official email confirmation that she had paid and could drive into London. 2 weeks later she received a PCN from TFL - she wasn't even aware that TFL was the company that should be paid as she associates them with public transport vehicles not roads! They are now taking her to a tribunal because they rejected her appeal despite being perfectly clear that she was not trying to avoid the payment and had fallen victim to scammers. When it first happened we then looked online and found out that this has happened to others. Any advice how to fight her corner when we go to tribunal? it's highly stressful for an elderly lady who was just trying to help out a friend.
  • Johno100Johno100 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    my 81 year old mother was aware of the low emissions zone and when asked to drive her disabled friend into central London went online to ensure she paid in advance of the date. She typed into google and found the first website which took payment of £19 and sent her an official email confirmation that she had paid and could drive into London. 2 weeks later she received a PCN from TFL - she wasn't even aware that TFL was the company that should be paid as she associates them with public transport vehicles not roads! They are now taking her to a tribunal because they rejected her appeal despite being perfectly clear that she was not trying to avoid the payment and had fallen victim to scammers. When it first happened we then looked online and found out that this has happened to others. Any advice how to fight her corner when we go to tribunal? it's highly stressful for an elderly lady who was just trying to help out a friend.

I think you've got that the wrong way around, the tribunal is the second tier appeal system for such matters.
  • john539john539 Forumite
    17K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the way MSE continues to provide lots of useless information about how the people are being penalised by draconian law.
  • john539john539 Forumite
    17K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 81 year old mother was aware of the low emissions zone and when asked to drive her disabled friend into central London went online to ensure she paid in advance of the date. She typed into google and found the first website which took payment of £19 and sent her an official email confirmation that she had paid and could drive into London. 2 weeks later she received a PCN from TFL - she wasn't even aware that TFL was the company that should be paid as she associates them with public transport vehicles not roads! They are now taking her to a tribunal because they rejected her appeal despite being perfectly clear that she was not trying to avoid the payment and had fallen victim to scammers. When it first happened we then looked online and found out that this has happened to others. Any advice how to fight her corner when we go to tribunal? it's highly stressful for an elderly lady who was just trying to help out a friend.
    What has first website got to do with it !

You need to be careful out there on the internet, just like walking the streets or going shopping.
  • edited 8 November 2019 at 3:17PM
    iolanthe07iolanthe07 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    edited 8 November 2019 at 3:17PM

TFL will probably claim that it is not their fault that your mother was scammed, and that the penalty is due. It does seem harsh, but it just shows how careful you need to be when paying for things online.

She typed into google and found the first website which took payment of £19

Fraudsters will use any means they can to have the link to their phoney site at the top of the page.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time the promoted search links are adverts, and tend to have Ad next to them. Scroll down until the actual search results are listed. :)
  • taneytaney Forumite
    726 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I got fined for entering the zone. Like others I live outside London (In solihull,west midlands) & havent traveled to London for last 3yrs. Knowing NOTHING of this emissions charge area, we blissfully drove through it on Saturday morning & today I got a £80 fine ! I feel this is rather steep - especially as a first timer.I think we should be allowed to pay what we owe & be warned for next time. I note from the comments those living in London had plenty of warning with adverts. It shouldve been notified nationally and special check posts should be made at entry point to this zone so you can pay as you enter.
    i want to know is there any use to challenge the fine and make an appeal or should i quietly take the brunt
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    taney wrote: »
    I got fined for entering the zone. Like others I live outside London (In solihull,west midlands) & havent traveled to London for last 3yrs. Knowing NOTHING of this emissions charge area, we blissfully drove through it on Saturday morning & today I got a £80 fine ! I feel this is rather steep - especially as a first timer.I think we should be allowed to pay what we owe & be warned for next time. I note from the comments those living in London had plenty of warning with adverts. It shouldve been notified nationally and special check posts should be made at entry point to this zone so you can pay as you enter.
    i want to know is there any use to challenge the fine and make an appeal or should i quietly take the brunt
    Quietly take the brunt. The zone is extremely well signposted at all entry points and on the main routes, more than once as you approach. It's your responsibility to know the rules of the roads you're travelling on and to heed signage.
  • BelenusBelenus Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There have been unmissable signs on the A3 north of Guildford for a very long time prior to the start of ULEZ charging.

I presume that there are similar signs on all main approach roads.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion