We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Begonias still going strong.

Options
andygb
andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I really cannot believe how my hanging basket begonias are still growing and flowering well, especially as we put the baskets down on a shaded part of the patio before we went on holiday in early September. What time do they normally die out and then need lifting and drying for next year?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    What time do they normally die out and then need lifting and drying for next year?
    Depends on what type you are talking about
    Tuberous or the fibrous root bedding type?

The former can be kept overwinter, the first frost will see the tops off.
    You can then either dry out the corm or lift the basket down and leave in cool dry place, like a shed / garage where the corm will dry out

I'd be inclined to lift the corm & check for vine weevil grubs, they love begonias
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=815

Fibrous type, treat as annuals and get fresh next year
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine was flowering too I just took them up last week to store over winter in box with some wood shavings and stored in a dry place
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, yes they are corms and it is a riot of colour on the patio at the moment. At the first sign of dying I will check them for the horrible white weevils. I have a cellar which is nice and dry, so could use that for the drying stage.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got wood shaving btw it was sold in Wilkos as guinea pig litter, I used rest for my dahlias all stored in those collapses plastic boxes you can get they like small crates they around £2-£3 each
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure