House Insurance for House with Self Contained Basement

edited 30 October 2019 at 6:11PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
silverchoicesilverchoice Forumite
186 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
edited 30 October 2019 at 6:11PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
My house has a self contained basement. When we first moved in my
parents lived in the basement and me, my wife and daughter lived in the rest of the house. We were able to get buildings and contents insurance for the whole house.

My parents moved out after two years so we decided to rent out the basement. The Council said we had to create a new dwelling in the basement by blocking off the stairs to the rest of the house and improve the fire resistance of the basement. We also created a new address for the basement. We needed specialist house insurance. The buildings insurance is for the whole house but the house and basement have separate policies.

Five years later the tenants have moved out and we don’t want to rent it out anymore. We want to use the basement for ourselves and family. I phoned the insurance company to ask whether I could go back to insurance the whole house buildings and contents. They said I couldn’t do this as the house was now two dwellings.

Does this sound right?
If so do I need to try and revert the house back to one dwelling ?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals