Which type of buildings insurance do I need?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
3 replies 358 views
mapleleaf75mapleleaf75 Forumite
12 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
My mother passed away recently. She lived in a house she owned outright in her own name. Her partner/boyfriend lived with her but (according to my solicitor) has no claim on the property. He's staying in the property for now until we get the funeral and other affairs dealt with. In the meantime, her house insurance is up for renewal.

I'm just thinking that given I won't be staying in the property, do I need to take out landlords insurance? I'm not taking rent from him. If I go through quotes for landlords insurance, it asks about the type of tenants staying there, what background checks I've done, etc

If I look at probate insurance, it seems to assume the house is either unoccupied or I'm living there.

Replies

• SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    The existing insurer may offer to continue the policy if the intention is to dispose of the house. Many have processes in place to still offer cover for a period if the existing policyholder dies.

The policy would be owned by the executor of the estate and can be paid out of the estate.

The partner is not a tenant as he was co-habiting in a relationship at the time of death. So landlords insurance is not necessary.
  • SonOf wrote: »
    The existing insurer may offer to continue the policy if the intention is to dispose of the house. Many have processes in place to still offer cover for a period if the existing policyholder dies.

The policy would be owned by the executor of the estate and can be paid out of the estate.

The partner is not a tenant as he was co-habiting in a relationship at the time of death. So landlords insurance is not necessary.
    Thanks, they have offered to keep it going but I felt the cost was a bit extreme so was going to look around for a cheaper quote.
  • SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, they have offered to keep it going but I felt the cost was a bit extreme so was going to look around for a cheaper quote.

You may well get it cheaper but you will have to point out the scenario and this may well eliminate comparison sites from your research. Phone based ones may be better so you can explain the situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals