edited 29 October 2019 at 6:22AM in Old Style MoneySaving
15 replies 1.3K views
nmlcnmlc Forumite
4.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 29 October 2019 at 6:22AM in Old Style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Tuesday 29 October 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work, I'm showered, dressed and enjoying my first cuppa and my porridge whilst on here.

Still dark here, cool dry start to the day.

Dinner last night was beef wellington, and LO veg from Sunday's roast. Tonight will be fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, my fish will be baked.

Yesterday work was quite busy, today I'm working at the other office, so that will make a change and it's my earlier finish day too.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Replies

• camelot1001camelot1001 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning All

Thanks for the start nmlc.

Cold again but not as cold as yesterday, took ages to scrape the car before I went swimming.

Work was incredibly busy yesterday, just couldn't seem to catch up with myself. A visit to DD and baby Sophie after work took all the tension away!

I made soup at the weekend and had some for tea, really enjoyed it but there's a big tubful to get through! I'm not a great soup lover so we'll see if it gets used.

Hope the inspection goes well today Gers.
    Let us know how you're doing dumpling if you can.
    How did you get on wearing sandals RR?

Right, off to face the day. Happy Tuesday, take care. XX
  • redrubyredruby Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all

Brrr cold here again but does not seen to be a frost yet im sure it wont be long.

Work was better with my sandals on I was still in pain but not as bad, I am also taking the mega strong painkillers the Dr gave me every 4 hours which is helping, I did make the mistake of wearing the sandals on the journey to work and my feet were freezing by the time I got there so today I will wear my boots and get changed there to save frozen tootsies, Specky re the suggestion of cutting hours etc, my work mate has recently cut hers so I am on my own for the first and last hours of the day, I will speak to my boss re more of a sit down job but it will have to wait till next week as its half term here and we are so busy.

Might do a teriyaki salmon type dish for dinner with rice and peas will need to google a recipe but I think its quite easy so shouldn't take long.

Right I had better get on have good days all xx

Gers hope mum is not worrying too much xx

Dumpling thinking of you xx
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone.

DM took the news well, I'm so glad I kept it from her for so long. She told me that the flooring is wood and not laminate so perhaps things will be OK.

Now to get ready for the workers. My thoughts to all. Happy Wednesday.
  • TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Another cold start here but not quite as frosty looking as yesterday. The heating is on to take the chill off.

Back to my normal Tuesday today - DF was ill last week so our coffee and lunch meet up had to be cancelled. She is NEVER ill so it was quite a shock! Mmmm wonder what I will decide on today!

By 10.00 yesterday morning there was no word from Super Mario so I took myself off on the bus to Skipton. I wanted to look for a padded type coat/anorak that didn't make me look like a Michelin man. I browsed a few outdoor type shops and settled on one I spotted in Hawkshead. I was determined not to get black so what colour did I end up with - black!!

I just arrived home in time for a call from SM. Could he come straight up to look at the shower!! Halleluja it's now working again!! I could barely conceal my excitement after 10 days without one! Baths are such hard work. Out of curiosity I searched for a Care and Repair service by our local council and it appears they don't offer one!!! Leeds does so why doesn't ours? I suppose it all boils down to money as usual.

As I shall be eating out at lunchtime I just need to get a sachet of soup out to defrost for later, along with a sandwich that will fill a gap. I have quite a variety of soups frozen now but don't yet rival Heinz!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all in need. Hope we hear news of DUMPLING soon. GERS I hope your DM didn't spend all night worrying about today's inspection. Fingers crossed everything will be ok. Take care all xxx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning and thank you for starting the thread nmlc.

It is cold here but not frosty and I'm planning to go outside leaf raking (again). But not until the sun has got going. I've plenty of indoors jobs.

Yesterday's visit to the dentist was odd. She took an xray and couldn't see anything but said that the symptoms pointed to a possible nerve death and if so, the crown will have to come off for a root canal treatment. She has slightly reduced the crown and I've got antibiotics in case it does die and gets infected, review in 3 weeks. So I'm hoping that my feeling that the crown was a bit too big might be right. I've had root canal work in the past and I'd rather not have it again.

I've been up for a long time and bliss, the heating has just come on. I might stop shivering soon. It isn't even winter, I must be going soft in my old age. Earlier, when I was awake but not out of bed, I found myself wondering how many pairs of socks I could wear before making my feet so unwieldy that I'd fall over.

Hope everyone is doing well, thoughts are with Dumpling.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • SpekySquareheadSpekySquarehead Forumite
    3K Posts
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone,

I left work at a reasonable time yesterday mostly because I got a lot of work done, not that I had plans. I was (and still am) suffering from DOMS in my legs from Sunday, so I didn't go to yoga. Instead I caught up on some TV, done some bits and bobs on the computer, read some of my book and had an early night.
    Total spends £0
    NSD 9/17

Opted against the gym given the leg pain this morning. Not sure what happened in my brain but I left work 30 mins earlier than I have to. Oh well, I can get ahead of the game. I'll go to the gym tonight for a bit. Poached egg and spicy rice for dinner, a Jamie Oliver recipe I think.

TA - Glad to hear your showers working again and at least your new black anorak will suit other clothes, very versatile!
    AoD - Out of curiosity, when did you have root canal treatment last? I was talking to a dentist, by pure coincidence, about this yesterday and he said they should last at least 10 years, otherwise, it's time for a new dentist.
  • csarina2csarina2 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grey and very cold here this morning. OH gets his Carpal Tunnel done this morning, girding myself for a few weeks of having to do everything.....he cannot use the hand until he has his stitches out in a week or so's time. Not sure how he is going to shower, and looks like I might have to give him a wash down as well as dress him etc. Still if it stops him moaning about his hand being numb that will be something.

Sausage, egg and wedges for supper tonight...........
    Target figure £5,500/£4213.77
  • snoozersnoozer Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    RR, glad to see you had a bit of relief from pain at work.

Gers, I don't blame you for opting for an earlier op, I've seen friends struggling with hip and knee pain for years before they finally have the relief of a replacement. My hip has been painful recently but I'm hoping it's soft tissue rather than the joint (may be wishful thinking).

I managed to see Laura yesterday afternoon. She's still very well but naturally impatient for little one to arrive. I came home with a couple of crates that she wants lining for the nursery. Then I have to make two seat pads for chairs at the Yorkshire house and 10 for Chris and Crystal's new (old) dining chairs. One of these days I might get back to fun sewing!

We want to get on in the garden today as well.
  • Hard_Up_HesterHard_Up_Hester Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc and hugs to all those in need.

I looked after 7 of my grandchildren and a nutty dog yesterday at DD1s, the dog trod mud in everywhere, we made iced biscuits and made everything sticky, one child got soaked on the trampoline, gawd knows how as the others were dry.
    My son in law got home at 5 and I returned to my boat with three dgd's, I cooked them a meal, DD2 collected them at 8 and then I made thirty portion of rice pudding for stroke club.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • mehefinmehefin Forumite
    462 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Morning all from a grey cold mehefinland

Its funny sometimes in life how things happen. Took a call from Stevie2shoes yesterday afternoon which has us in a bit of turmoil. A client of his was widowed in the summer and has decided that she wants to pass on her late husband's mare to a good home as she can not cope. He immediately thought of us and the upshot is that we are going to see her this afternoon.
    Have very mixed emotions about this at the moment. It seems so soon after losing Bruisemare, but she sounds very much what we would be looking for in a riding mare ( still have to find a driver though). Fairypony, although a little cutie , is too small for any of us to use. She is a companion lawn mower but we have been so grateful to have had her on loan. I think if we take this mare on we will keep Fairy over the winter at least.
    The owner is gifting the mare and doesn't want anything for her which is exceedingly generous - we will find some way of recompense as horses are expensive to buy and keep and she shouldn't be out of pocket.
    Will keep you posted.

The recyclingmen have just recycled the green waste all over the road so I had better go and pick that up. The other lot haven't come yet - we have just changed form co mingled to separated and it has been a farce ( particularly with the plastics!).

Hugs and spoons as always

Mehefiin
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides