edited 28 October 2019 at 6:13AM in Old Style MoneySaving
18 replies 1.4K views
nmlcnmlc Forumite
4.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 28 October 2019 at 6:13AM in Old Style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Monday 28 October 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Cold frosty start to the day here after a lovely sunny day yesterday.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS2 getting ready for work and I'm showered, dressed and enjoying first cuppa and my porridge whilst on here. DS2 settled and ok.

Lunch yesterday was roast pork, roasties, mash, cauli/broc cheese, carrots, swede, peas, yorkshires and gravy. Tonight will be fish or beef wellington.

Yesterday menfolk went out into the garden and got lots of trimming back done, still more to do but they made a very good start and hopefully next weekend should see it finished. Whilst they were doing that I was prepping lunch and then the pack ups for today. Just chilled in the afternoon and evening.

Back to work this morning, we'll see what today brings - busy I expect with our usual array of customers.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Replies

• trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I woke up just before 5am and turned the heating on, I didn't warm up at all so I turned the temperature up. I intended to turn it down after half an hour but the house doesn't feel any warmer so I've left it for now. Hopefully I'll warm up once I've had my shower.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've had a carrier bag full of scrunched up paperwork dropped off to me. I was going to do the work today but I've decided it's just too messy to work with :D I'll unscrunch it, put it in a pile and put a heavy book on top to flatten it, then ignore it til tomorrow.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As I won't be working, I now have a couple of hours spare and I have no idea what to do with them. I don't want to sit down, I sat for far too long yesterday and have a stiff leg this morning. I might take Scamp for an extra walk this afternoon then sort out my craft things. They're already quite tidy but there's always room for improvement, and TBH I like messing about with them :D[/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning folks. Brr a cold and frosty start here too. Put the heating on straight away and the house is now feeling snug. I am loathe to turn it off just yet but can't leave it on all day, as much as I would like to!

DD went to the caravan yesterday for a last few days (is she mad!) and she sent me a photo of youngest DGD in about 3 coats, with a blanket round her! She had put the gas heater on and said it was warming up nicely. She has fingers crossed that the gas doesn't run out!

Well Super Mario said he would come back this week to look at the non-functioning shower but, in a way, I hope he doesn't as I lost faith in him through the extended debacle of the loo mending last week!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all in need. Thinking of DUMPLING. GERS I hope your DM doesn't get too worked up about the possible problem you have to break to her.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ScarletRibbonsScarletRibbons Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning, and it's a very chilly one here, the car is all frosted over.
    Yeserday was a similar day fine but cold.

Thanks Tru for starting. Fancy people bringing you work in that state, bit of a cheek I think - could they not have presented it in a tidier condition.
    I sorted my cardmaking things on Saturday, it was in a terrible state. Like you, I like messing about with it!! TBH, I like sorting and tidying drawers and cupboards generally, I find it soothing. Bonkers I know!
    My sewing stuff could do with a major tidy as well, I can feel that coming on.

Yesterday went as planned, I nipped into Durham and went to Tho*ntons for the chocs that my friend wanted, I'll take them to her this morning. Then went to caravan and DH drained the remaining water in the system. Came home and I took a couple of pairs of trousers up,

Today we are thinking of going to Alnw*ick Gardens. We won't have Dgd as is usual for a Monday afternoon, the family are at their caravan, so we may as well diddle off somewhere.

We'll be home by teatime anyway

Hoping everyone is ok, thoughts to the poorly and those struggling with life.
    Take care folks.
  • ScarletRibbonsScarletRibbons Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got someone else to fall back on TA, if Super Mario doesn't come. Sometimes it's hard to get people, they say they'll come and you never see them again. This has happened to us, and other people that I know.
    Hope you get it put right anyway,
    There's always something needing done.
  • redrubyredruby Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all

Cold and windy here but no frost as of yet, it was very chilly yesterday evening and we were glad of the log burner, wont be long before the frosts start I don't think.

Oh cut the plum tree back yesterday and it looks much better he was going to cut the grass but the brown bin was full so that can wait till next weekend.

We had a lovely roast pork dinner yesterday and dd came over in the morning, she ended staying all day as her OH was at work and she had dinner with us, I also sent one back for her OH, DD and I also made some cupcakes and a huge batch of soup most of which she took home, it will do her lunches in the week.

More roast for us tonight as I did extra yesterday so a nice quick dinner.

I got hold of my boss yesterday and she said its ok to wear my sandals in but to only come if its better which was nice of her, the problem is that its always much better at home resting, its only when I go to work that the problem comes back!! Oh well will see what today brings.

Gers hope the chat with mum goes well xx

Have good days all xx
  • TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    SR I hope that's the case with Super Mario. I have his number but I won't be ringing him if he doesn't show! (I have already paid him for the loo job) I know what you mean about broken promises from work people these days. It was my third attempt at getting someone to replace my couple of windows before someone actually kept their appointment to come and have a look!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    TA - try the Care and Repair team at your local council. It's a national service for the over 65s home owners which provides handyman and repairs at no low cost. In Glasgow they don't do plumbing jobs but they do have a list of recommended trades.

DM needed a sink unblocked, the bloke recommended phoned me within an hour of my voicemail and was here the next day.
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all.

It's very cold here too. I haven't looked out yet, I've only been to the toilet before diving back under the still warm duvet.

Overnight I tried to keep off my sore knee. Whilst it's my right hip which is being replaced my knee was the original problem. As I'm walking funny the knee is objecting more and more. Yesterday was particularly bad, this morning it's not too bad. Once I start walking the hip pain kicks in. No win situation- roll on 13th Nov.

I need to go out, there are no eggs in the house and, somehow, I feel a tad insecure! :rotfl: Yes, it's weird. There's some SAE to drop off at the surgery for DM's prescriptions and a letter to post.

When I get back I have to gird my loins and face 'the talk'. Has to be done.

Redruby - I hope wearing sandals is much less painful for you.

Scarlet - enjoy the gardens. It was a favourite place of mine when I lived in Newcastle. It's been lovely watching it all being developed over the years.

Well, could be time to get out of bed now. Thoughts to all those facing challenges with life. Happy Monday to all.
  • SpekySquareheadSpekySquarehead Forumite
    3K Posts
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone,

A lovely weekend was had. Much of the usual stuff for me but I did manage to tick something off the bucket list. Whenever I have been in a coffee shop (rarely), 95% of the time I'm taking it away. The remaining time, I've always been with someone to sit and chat with and I've often seen people, sitting alone, reading with a coffee and it looks so peaceful, comforting, easy-going. So, that's what I done. I was due a free coffee in Cafe Nero, so not quite hipster/barista but nonetheless, it was nice to be hear the steamer, smell coffee and a true test of focus to not be distracted. It's the small things.

I had my FaceTime call with my step-bro in SK this morning, which I think is becoming a weekly thing. As he's now a stay at home dad, he's free at 5am UK time/2pm SK time. Nice to chat for an hour as I have my breakfast and ensures I go to the gym. Which I have. Left overs for dinner tonight and yoga afterwards.

Yesterday was NSD 8.

TA - I'm in agreement regarding the heating. Very chilly this morning. Had to scrape the car!
    RR - Very kind of your boss to be understanding. Can your hours be reduced whilst you're at work given it's the time on your feet that is the source of the pain? Or perhaps a longer break?
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning, cold and bright here and I have towels in the washing machine. They probably won't dry completely on the line but they should get a bit dry.

Dentist later, I've left it a few weeks because I knew the crowns might take a couple of weeks to settle but they haven't and I think one needs shaving down, this could be what is causing the problem.

Slept a bit better, still tired though so I'm going to sit about with a cup of tea for a bit.

Hope everyone has a good day, thinking of Dumpling.

OL, it was good to see a couple of posts from you, you are missed
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides