Unsure about possible insurance claim

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
4 replies 524 views
RagamvffynRagamvffyn Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong place - it's my very first post.

Very late last night the power ring for the downstairs plugs tripped out whilst my partner was shutting down his PC. We we were able to restore power and have reported it to the landlord first thing this morning and we aren't going to us the plug socket in question until the electrician arrives to look at it. Everything else seemed perfectly fine, so we assumed that socket has broken.

Until he tried to use his PC plugged in elsewhere, and discovered it won't switch on at all. When we inspected the power supply unit small bit of fried electrical cable fell out through the air vents - so it's obviously ruined, and we have no idea currently if its shorted out anything else in the PC as of yet.

We've informed our landlord that the PC is damaged. My partner had a power supply in the PC fail early last year, which at the time we just put down to wear and tear. I now suspect the plug socket had an undiscovered problem.

The question is, if the plug socket failure has completely broken the PC, do we have to claim on our contents insurance as it was our belonging, or should the landlord claim on their buildings insurance as the damage was caused by something integral in the house? We've never had to consider claiming on insurance so I've absolutely no idea.

Replies

• edited 27 October 2019 at 6:21PM
    societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 October 2019 at 6:21PM
    the power ring for the downstairs plugs tripped out whilst my partner was shutting down his PC
    I've had similar happen in the past with a small portable TV.
    we inspected the power supply unit small bit of fried electrical cable fell out
    Not sure why you think the socket is at fault, more likely the PSU in the PC failed and tripped the ring main.
  • eddddyeddddy Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to imagine how just one socket on a ring main could be generating power surges.

If the problem really was caused by a power surge, it could be caused by something like an (old) fridge or (old) washing machine coming on. But that would send the surge through every socket on the ring main.

Or it could be caused by something external, like a lightning strike or fault in the supply. But the surge would then go through every socket, plus all your neighbours sockets.

TBH, the more plausible explanation is that your PC's power supply caused the problem. i.e. It burnt out and caused a short circuit which tripped the the ring main's circuit breaker.

But I guess you can wait to see what the electrician says.
  • ceb1995ceb1995 Forumite
    369 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Ragamvffyn wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong place - it's my very first post.

Very late last night the power ring for the downstairs plugs tripped out whilst my partner was shutting down his PC. We we were able to restore power and have reported it to the landlord first thing this morning and we aren't going to us the plug socket in question until the electrician arrives to look at it. Everything else seemed perfectly fine, so we assumed that socket has broken.

Until he tried to use his PC plugged in elsewhere, and discovered it won't switch on at all. When we inspected the power supply unit small bit of fried electrical cable fell out through the air vents - so it's obviously ruined, and we have no idea currently if its shorted out anything else in the PC as of yet.

We've informed our landlord that the PC is damaged. My partner had a power supply in the PC fail early last year, which at the time we just put down to wear and tear. I now suspect the plug socket had an undiscovered problem.

The question is, if the plug socket failure has completely broken the PC, do we have to claim on our contents insurance as it was our belonging, or should the landlord claim on their buildings insurance as the damage was caused by something integral in the house? We've never had to consider claiming on insurance so I've absolutely no idea.

you'd have to claim on your own contents insurance, it's worth considering the value of your pc, your excess and that making a claim can lead to your premium going up in future.
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe time to consider power surge plugs for your important equipment. But won't protect from faulty equipment though
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie/ Bowelhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals