NEST and BST

Options
Robin9
Robin9 Posts: 12,120 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
I have a NEST thermostat installed in 2014 - I think shortly after it was launched in the UK.

Earlier this year it wouldn't function properly. I couldn't control the heating from the wall mounted unit - it displayed the temp but could not adjust in any way. It still worked fine through the app.

I contacted NEST support in the US - even sent a video of the non-working unit. They basically just aid - out of guarantee.

This morning it burst into life. Is it coincidence that the clocks changed - suggesting to me a software issue.

Anyone else had issues with NEST ?
Never pay on an estimated bill

Comments

• mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter has inherited a HIVE system.Useless. She and her husband are mid 20's and internet savvy,but even they question the need for controlling your utilities via the internet.

They are taking it out.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't understand why you would take it out if it was already installed. The obvious benefit is to be able to switch it on or off when you are not at home.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Don't understand why you would take it out if it was already installed. The obvious benefit is to be able to switch it on or off when you are not at home.

I agree - why throw it out. Before my NEST started playing up I rarely used the app - I found it easier to adjust by hand but wouldn't go back to a separate stat and controller.

What are they going to replace it by?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A decent programmable thermostat with optimum start?

Remote operation of heating might be OK for single people or couples who never go out alone, but if you have a decent programmable thermostat configured with a temperature profile that matches your lifestyle is there any benefit in remotely switching the heating on and off for a few hours?

I've ended up with a Heatmiser hub and app access to the heating system, but only because it was a necessity to get the wireless sensors I wanted integrated into the system. Whilst the app was useful for "tuning" the programme, I've not used it since and can't see a need to use it when away from home. The only use case I can see is to prolong the evening temperature from a tablet whilst sitting on the sofa if we're up late.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    mumf wrote: »
    My daughter has inherited a HIVE system.Useless. She and her husband are mid 20's and internet savvy,but even they question the need for controlling your utilities via the internet.

They are taking it out.

I had Hive installed four years ago, and love it. I never use the thermostat, always my phone. So convenient switching the hot water on or boosting the heat without getting up. Tailoring different schedules for different days of the week has saved me money, as has switching the heating off remotely when I'm unexpectedly staying out longer than intended. But the main benefit is coming home to a nice warm house with hot water when I've been away on holiday in winter.

When it eventually fails, I will certainly replace it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure