From E.ON: We're changing your tariff and increasing your prices…

Options
Like some other members of this forum, I received a letter from E.ON saying that they're moving me from my current tariff (E.ON EnergyPlan & Electrical Heating RHT) onto their Standard Variable Tariff (E.ON EnergyPlan). :(

My current legacy setup consists of:
  • one meter for electric underfloor heating (on/off times controlled by a timeclock). I get a Restricted Hours Tariff on this of 1.365p per day Standing Charge and 8.757p per kWh used.
  • another meter (with two registers) that supplies everything else (including immersion heater). This has a radio teleswitch attached which switches between 'Day' and 'Night' rates (18.134p and 7.686p per kWh, respectively - Standing Charge 16.422p per day.

The prices of the Standard Variable Tariff are 22.418p (Standing Charge) and 17.829p per kWh, and E.ON themselves reckon my annual bill will increase from £147.02 to £255.24 :shocked:

I am opposed in principle to the concept of switching between suppliers (who, after all, all supply the same thing), and resent being forced to give up a good tariff. There is also the potential of being forced to change the long-established metering system that seems ideal for my all-electric property.

What are my options, here?

Comments

• citadia
    Options
    Like some other members of this forum, I received a letter from E.ON saying that they're moving me from my current tariff (E.ON EnergyPlan & Electrical Heating RHT) onto their Standard Variable Tariff (E.ON EnergyPlan). :(

• one meter for electric underfloor heating (on/off times controlled by a timeclock). I get a Restricted Hours Tariff on this of 1.365p per day Standing Charge and 8.757p per kWh used.
    • another meter (with two registers) that supplies everything else (including immersion heater). This has a radio teleswitch attached which switches between 'Day' and 'Night' rates (18.134p and 7.686p per kWh, respectively - Standing Charge 16.422p per day.

The prices of the Standard Variable Tariff are 22.418p (Standing Charge) and 17.829p per kWh, and E.ON themselves reckon my annual bill will increase from £147.02 to £255.24 :shocked:

I am opposed in principle to the concept of switching between suppliers (who, after all, all supply the same thing), and resent being forced to give up a good tariff. There is also the potential of being forced to change the long-established metering system that seems ideal for my all-electric property.

What are your options?

(1). Read the advice in the other thread(s) you obviously are aware of by the fact you know other MSEers are affected.
    (2). Start a new thread, in the vague hope someone will provide you a response you would prefer to hear.

Looks like you opted for (2) :cool:
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

What are my options, here.

Hi have you had a look at other E.ON or MSE E.ON tariffs as changing has no penalties ?
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Hello Barnaby Chunder and, I'm afraid, we're no longer able to support meters like this.

I've posted about similar Restricted Hours Tariffs (RHT) meters quite a bit recently and the following threads might help.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76397832#post76397832

[FONT=&quot]https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=60495
    [/FONT]
    To recap, RHT meters were designed mainly for all electric properties with specific types of heating arrangements like your underfloor heating and water immersion heaters.

As with you, there are two meters. One will be wired directly into the heating circuits. This lets it automatically switch the heating and hot water connected to these dedicated circuits on and off during off-peak times. The other meter will record general usage such as lighting, electrical appliances etc.

Depending on what type of RHT set-up is in place, you'll have a number of hours in each 24 hour period where electricity for heating/hot water is charged at cheaper off-peak rates. There'll also be some hours where all usage is at the cheaper rates.

The project to phase out these meters is being looked after by our Simpler Metering team and these are the best placed advisors to talk to. They'll go through the options we've available.

I suspect Economy 10 is the closest to the current set-up. With these, you'll have 10 hours of off-peak electricity for all usage. This will be in three periods at night, during the afternoon and in the evening. As now, we've only the one tariff available for Economy 10 meters.

Our Simpler Metering team will also talk to you about Economy 7 and single rate options. Economy 7 also works with certain types of heating like storage heaters and electric water immersion heaters. Situations vary widely and it's important to look at each case individually as changing the meter can have implications for the heating and hot water.

There's more choice of tariffs with Economy 7 and single rate. This is both with us and with the other suppliers. Meter exchanges under the Simpler Metering project are done without charge.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction Barnaby Chunder. Please let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure