Window cleaner accidentlly hits my van causing damage

Options
Greetings fellow money saving experts

Today I happened to be outside next to my new van (8months old) to witness the window cleaner who cleaned my clients windows I’m there doing their bathroom. He caught my van quite badly with his ladder.
I got his details but claims not to own a mobile phone so gave me his girlfriends and a address his dads and an email address.

Questions

He works for a firm should I speak to the owner to claim against his public liability insurance they are a PLC so should imagine insurance in place.

Go round to his dads explain and hope to come to an agreement with getting damaged repaired?

Write letter explaining what happened I’ll got 2 quotes etc how do you wish to proceed.

Basically I just want the repairs paid for by the window cleaner who damaged van. Will go to SCC if need be.. but obviously don’t want to make this lads life harder than it may be already. If at all.

Van parked on public road, lad was just oblivious to the van didn’t really care he’d damaged my new van. Asked about company insurance but didn’t seem to know.

If no joy can I claim for my van insurance. I have 9 years no claims but this isn’t my fault.

Any help advice would be greatful.

Thank you for your help and for taking the time to read this.

Leigh

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You must advise your own insurance company about this.

Doubt that he does not have a mobile - if not, how would his company get hold of him for jobs?

I would also contact whoever employs him and ask for their employee liability policy details because you want to claim against it.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    You must advise your own insurance company about this.

Doubt that he does not have a mobile - if not, how would his company get hold of him for jobs?

I would also contact whoever employs him and ask for their employee liability policy details because you want to claim against it.

It would be a claim against public liability not employers
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your best bet is to contact the company. That's what a public liability insurances are for after all.

Chances are he gave you false details about himself.
  • leighdancer
    Options
    Thank you for replying. Appreciate that.
    Spoke to company owner (according to companies house) but he’s saying the he subcontracts the work to other window cleaners they are self employed and therefore speak to them. When the incident happened they said to give the owner a call. Any other advice help would be appreciated
    Thanks leigh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport