*Please delete*

edited 24 October 2019 at 1:48PM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
2 replies 2.3K views
JourneyHJourneyH Forumite
16 Posts
Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
Cleared my debts trying to colour in the lines money wise now...


  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    You may want to post this on the renting section.

    Something to add would be about the address on your council tax bill.

    Is it addressed to you at

    flat A, 1 Any Road (or some other way of identification of it being a flat?

    Or 1 Any Road.

    Have you looked at the council planning permission site? See if it lists an application to convert?

    What is your end result you want? Move out? Not pay CT? Drop your LL in trouble?
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You were probably paying Council Tax because the property in which you were living had its own CT band and you were thus liable. Paradoxically, providing there is a self contained dwelling a CT band can be applied irrespective of the "legality" of the dwelling.

    Only by asking the council's planning dept, would you find out if a conversion had been carried out with planning approval. Depending on when a conversion was done, it is quite possible that there is no longer any record of planning permission being applied for or granted.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides