Hot waiter is intermittent - Combi boiler help

Options

Comments

• another_casualty
    Options
    The problems you are having op are very similar to my thread on here a couple of days ago .
    Things to consider : are you a homeowner? If so, would your contents insurance cover anything towards cost?
    How old is the boiler ? ( if 15 years or over then you won't be able to get cover .
    The heat exchanger is probably the issue . I could be wrong .
    Unfortunately , I'm getting a new boiler soon as it's 15 years old, possibly less . I have cover which includes an annual service .
    If I didn't , the 2 + hours spent by the emergency engineer would've been costly . Then the parts ontop of that .
    Boiler cover varies in price and varies as to what's covered , and what's not .( ie power flushes which is expensive ) .
    I won't go any further regarding boiler cover , as that could start a debate as to whether to just put money away every month yourself or to a company .
    It's best to get a reputable local engineer to assess your situation who has good feedback .
    Hope this helps
  • jefaz07
    jefaz07 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Jefaf07.

I booked a plumber to quote me a job and he’s also an ex BG boiler person. I actually should have checked his credentials. How I know! He manipulated me into a service.

I have a person come out to fix it tomorrow! I explained intermittent hot water. Should that be enough?

Also is a service plan worth it?

It should give him an idea. I’d still say it’s a water turbine so I’d bring one with me. It’s can of course be other things.
    Service plans are a gamble really. You may pay it for years and nothing happens.
    I’d put money away personally, then if it doesn’t break for a while then you have a nice chunk toward a new boiler when it does.
    My dad for instance, I put his boiler in in 2006 and it hasn’t flickered once since then, not a thing. So imagine if he was paying for a plan...at £20 a month until now. That’s over 3k he’s paid toward nothing. So save it and use when necessary.
    I have heard some insurers (BG) have closed their call centres after 8pm now. So you wouldn’t be able to get them out of hours anyway.
  • I’m the boiler is 8 year’s old.

I’ve spent £60 on a service and £72 for the emergency guy tomorrow :/ oh well.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Will you tip the waiter ??
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A service plan is a good idea if you get a discount on the cost of the service. A service plan that costs MORE than a service costs per year is a bad idea.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • The service is usually included? Isn’t it the pipes as well that get fixed and radiators?
  • another_casualty
    Options
    The service is usually included? Isn’t it the pipes as well that get fixed and radiators?

That depends on the type of cover you take out .
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If the hot waiter is intermittent then there must be another restaurant nearby that employs cute staff all year round?

I'm sorry ;)
  • lewis_hardwick
    Options
    I have the same boiler and had a similar issue.

Turned out to be an ignition sensor. The sensor didn't seem to detect the flame, would cut out, then after a minute of the water running would finally kick in.

Huge waste of water.

I ended up paying about £35 for the part, but also had a full strip down and and service of the boiler.

Was £240 all in.

It's not been serviced in a few years, so no real cost saving/expense.
  • Ok thanks for letting me know!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport