HA & property clearance

Options
2»

Comments

• Kezzy41
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

I’m new to all this and as there wasn’t a Will left, only wishes by my dad, So I took over the estate side of things, my auntie the funeral. He had insurance cover for the funeral, but I payed out the mileage to have him tranpoted back to his home town (from my own account), where my auntie lives and I don’t, she registered his death and made arrangements with the funeral home.

I notified everyone that needed to be prior to notifying his bank and making an Appt. He was up to date with his bills, 2 being owning they were taken out prior to bank closure. DWP said they’d contact me for any possible overpayment. So when his bank froze and asked for my bank details I gave them and they made the bank transfer before closing his account. With every bill etc notified I thought nothing of it.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To be fair (the law isn't), how many people must get caught in this sort of problem daily around the country.

Most people simply want to "do the right thing" by their relatives/fathers/mothers etc.

If you asked a 100 people in an average high street if they knew a) what intermeddling was and b) how they can avoid being liable for it then I would hazard a guess that less than 10% of 'average' people would be able to answer the questions (people who read this forum I don't consider to be average).

Additionally, those most in need of being protected from being determined as having intermeddled are probably the most likely to not have heard of the term and the least likely to have easy access (or funds) for solicitors etc.

IMO intermeddling needs to have a 'much' higher bar before being determined as such. I have no idea what the answer would be to that however.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure