Help! How to build my credit rating when I’ve lived abroad my whole life

Options
Hi,

If anyone out there could help me I would be massively thankful. I am 31 and I’ve lived abroad my whole life. I’ve just recently moved back to the UK and I’ve been declined a basic current account! I first applied with Santander who declined me, I then applied for a Co-Operative Cashminder account who have also declined my application.

I have been scouring the internet but I am unable to find any information as to where to start. I have tried to run a credit check on myself but even this has come back as incomplete (which I assume is because there is no trace of me on any system anywhere.)

I have submitted an application to have my name added to the Electoral Roll (at my current address which is the home I share with my husband mortgaged in his name.) My name is also on our Council Tax account jointly.

I am at this point so frustrated that I cannot even get a basic UK bank account to have my wages paid into.

Can anyone offer any advice as to where to start? I am UK born, I have a UK passport and full UK drivers licence, I have just lived abroad my whole life since I was an infant, so I’ve only ever had accounts overseas.

I appreciate its going to be a long road to build a good credit history, it just feels like I am in a catch 22 situation as how can I build a credit history without even the chance to do so???

Any help would be amazing!

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Options
    Have you tried a Monzo account?

https://monzo.com/blog/2018/09/07/new-to-the-uk
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Pinkvimto
    Options
    I hadn’t actually thank you for the tip. Having spent a few hours reading these forums tonight I’ve just applied for a Cashplus account. I admit it’s not ideal having to pay a feee each month for a facility to pay my wages into, but if it helps I will do anything.

Cashplus asked for some documents to verify my identity in order to progress my application, I have submitted my UK passport and UK drivers licence, and apparently I will get a response within 5 days.

I guess if I am declined for the Cashplus I will try the Monzo. From what I have read online the Cashplus is only a soft search, so if I am declined which I hope I am not, it shouldn’t have an impact on other applications?

Thanks
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pinkvimto wrote: »
    I hadn’t actually thank you for the tip. Having spent a few hours reading these forums tonight I’ve just applied for a Cashplus account. I admit it’s not ideal having to pay a feee each month for a facility to pay my wages into, but if it helps I will do anything.

Cashplus asked for some documents to verify my identity in order to progress my application, I have submitted my UK passport and UK drivers licence, and apparently I will get a response within 5 days.

I guess if I am declined for the Cashplus I will try the Monzo. From what I have read online the Cashplus is only a soft search, so if I am declined which I hope I am not, it shouldn’t have an impact on other applications?

Thanks

I could be wrong but Monzo don't search your credit file.
    Revolut may have been an option too.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options

Monzo is free. Which means you could save a lot of money by holding for a day or two, until you have time to apply for a Monzo account. It is totally MSE advice. You get keep more of your hard-earned monthly pay-packet... :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Pinkvimto
    Options
    Thank you so much I’ve just applied for a Monzo current account online and been accepted straight away...apparently my card will be with me in a few days!

Does anyone have any good advice as to any other ways I can possibly start building a credit history here in the UK? What is the likelihood I would get accepted for a contract mobile phone, would it be worth me applying for one? Any other tips?

Thanks again.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 21 October 2019 at 9:30PM
    Options
    I From what I have read online the Cashplus is only a soft search, so if I am declined which I hope I am not, it shouldn’t have an impact on other applications?

Thanks

Soft search of what? You are not on the ER. You have no credit products therefore what credit files do you have to be searched. You don't exist.

Get on the ER.
    Can't really understand why you are being declined for basic bank accounts as it should have been possible to verify your identity somehow. but now you can enjoy your Monzo account.
    When you are on the ER and banks can verify your existance get a proper bank account with a proper bank.
    Forget Cashplus unless you specifically need a prepaid card. If you need a credit card to use you could get your husband to give you a supplementary card. You could even see if you and your husband could have a joint bank account.
    A SIM only ocntract should not present any real difficulty once you are on the ER.Get your hisband to add your name to utility bills then they may report on your credit files.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but Monzo don't search your credit file.
    Revolut may have been an option too.

They do. Although they don't do credit searches.

And they only do it with Transunion.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @OP - are you sure you were applying for a basic account? Santander shouldn't decline you for a basic account if you have sufficient documentation to prove both your identity and address. If you don't have this sort of proof you will likely struggle pretty much everywhere. When I first moved to the UK I struggled with proving my address, but Santander were the first to offer me a basic account 2 weeks after I moved here as they accepted some of the documents I had.

If you haven't registered on the electoral roll do that ASAP. That said, Monzo/Starling is probably a much easier way to go as long as you can prove your identity and have a UK postal address you should be fine. Monzo in particular shouldn't credit check you unless you opt for an overdraft. I definitely wouldn't recommend any of the pre-paid cash card accounts.
  • Irishsmurfy
    Options
    We had a new starter at work last year (moved from Ireland to London). He had trouble opening a UK bank account as he was staying with relatives rather than renting somewhere himself. He struggled to get a basic bank account but managed to open an account with the Nationwide which is usually for people who may have been bankrupt or are not eligible for a usual current account. He just had to get a letter from our workplace to confirm he was starting a new job here.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexbasic/features-and-benefits

He did get a debit card with it when he opened the account - just no overdraft facility. He's now managed to get a "normal" account after 12 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure