New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Enduring Power of Attorney

17 replies 1.1K views
SouthCoastBoySouthCoastBoy Forumite
5 posts
I have a registered enduring power of attorney. I am concerned it may get lost if I have to send it to an organisation in the post. Do you know if the Office of Public Guardian will send me a duplicate if this is the case?

Currently I am too worried it will get lost and therefore very loathed to let it go out of my sight.

Thanks for your help

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you pay a solicitor to photocopy it a few times and certify them as being a true copy?

That way you get to keep the original.
  • msb5262msb5262 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Not directly related to this specific question but I think they are now called Lasting Power of Attorney - the Enduring version actually didn’t endure and has been superseded by the Lasting one...you might want to check that what you have is still legally valid.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    msb5262 wrote: »
    Not directly related to this specific question but I think they are now called Lasting Power of Attorney - the Enduring version actually didn’t endure and has been superseded by the Lasting one...you might want to check that what you have is still legally valid.

It is. ..................
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, EPAs are still valid, hence the rush for people to do them before LPAs came in and costs increased.
  • greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will most organisations not accept a scanned emailed copy of the EPA ??
    I never send documents like this by post these days.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, EPAs are still valid, hence the rush for people to do them before LPAs came in and costs increased.

I don’t think cost did increase, it certainly costs the same to register an EPA or LPA today.

The main difference is that an LPA should be registered from the outset, an EPA only when mental capacity is lost.
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think cost did increase, it certainly costs the same to register an EPA or LPA today.

The main difference is that an LPA should be registered from the outset, an EPA only when mental capacity is lost.

My firm were doing EPAs and a simple will for £150 as the form took minutes to fill in.

LPAs still don't need to be registered immediately.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My firm were doing EPAs and a simple will for £150 as the form took minutes to fill in.

LPAs still don't need to be registered immediately.

I see, no change in DIY costs but a big increase having a professional do it.

I realise that it is possible to not register an LPA immediately but it is silly not to do so which is why I used the term should rather than must.
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm another one recommending you get a solicitor to make coveralls ohotoxopied certified copies. I learnt the lesson the hard way, Even if yiu send the original by registered post or recorded delivery, there will be some careless person at a bank or other financial institution who will I staple it and leave the last page of the document in a photocopier.

Had this happen to me at a bank and it was a good job I checked the document immediately it was handed back to me otherwise it would,probably have been lost for ever. But you can only check this if you,'re dealing with a query or validation in person so get certified copies and keep the original firmly under lock and key !
  • mrschaucermrschaucer Forumite
    708 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    You don't need a solicitor to make the certified copies of LPAs:
    https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/certify
    A laborious process, but definitely doable.