Free Will cost us over £500

Options
We opted for free Wills in support of a charity as they are simple and straight forward ie mirror Wills, no trusts or other complications. We were advised to severe the ownership of our house to become tenants in common, which we agreed made sense. We also have a rental property (already owned as tenants in common), which is in effect our pension. The cost of severing the ownership and including the rental house in the otherwise simple Wills cost us an additional three and a half times the value of the 'voucher' provided by the charity. Question is, when is free Will a free Will?

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,202 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    The will was free. Being given and taking advice is not free as it is completely separate from making a will. You could have done either on its own. You did not need a solicitor to move to TIC.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No such thing as free.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wendare wrote: »
    We opted for free Wills in support of a charity as they are simple and straight forward ie mirror Wills, no trusts or other complications. We were advised to severe the ownership of our house to become tenants in common, which we agreed made sense. We also have a rental property (already owned as tenants in common), which is in effect our pension. The cost of severing the ownership and including the rental house in the otherwise simple Wills cost us an additional three and a half times the value of the 'voucher' provided by the charity. Question is, when is free Will a free Will?

When you stick exactly to the T&C of the offer. It is quite clear that you were given legal advice and then acted upon it.
  • wendare
    Options
    I think we met with the '2nd hand car salesman' of the solicitor world and, yes, we were stupid to be drawn in by his 'banter'. From memory the TIC cost around £350 (we haven't got a breakdown of his fees), something I now know we could have done ourselves. Thank goodness we didn't opt for Lasting Powers of Attorney!
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No, you instructed a solicitor to prepare a will, discussed other things and accepted their advice.

As with any service you had the option to go away, think about it and make a few phone calls to other firms to see if their prices were on par.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,662 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    wendare wrote: »
    I think we met with the '2nd hand car salesman' of the solicitor world and, yes, we were stupid to be drawn in by his 'banter'. From memory the TIC cost around £350 (we haven't got a breakdown of his fees), something I now know we could have done ourselves. Thank goodness we didn't opt for Lasting Powers of Attorney!

I hope that means you are doing your own LPAs rather than not doing them at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure