Forum Home» Credit Cards

Samed ay debit to credit card account

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Samed ay debit to credit card account

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
30 replies 1.4K views
Ben8282Ben8282
4.8K posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
I used my Lloyds Mastercard credit card for a chip/pin purchase transaction on Tuesday afternoon.
The transaction was actually debited to the credit card account when they updated Tuesday evening. I don't mean it appeared as a pending transaction I mean it actually appeared as a debit on the account.
I have never had a transaction debit a credit card account so quickly before; it is usually the following evening.
From the receipt the merchant appears to use Payment Sense as their processor.
How is such a rapid debit possible?

Replies

• boo_starboo_star Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing to say a payment can't be debited very quickly, it's just uncommon.
  • edited 16 October 2019 at 12:35AM
    Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 October 2019 at 12:35AM
    boo_star wrote: »
    There's nothing to say a payment can't be debited very quickly, it's just uncommon.
    Agreed. But I always assumed it was uploaded to the processor/acquirer (if those are the correct terms) on day 1 then passed on to the credit card company on day 2. My query is about how they managed it so quickly. I have been using credit cards for a very very long time and have never encountered this before.
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Agreed. But I always assumed it was uploaded to the processor/acquirer (if those are the correct terms) on day 1 then passed on to the credit card company on day 2. My query is about how they managed it so quickly. I have been using credit cards for a very very long time and have never encountered this before.

Day one was Tuesday, Day two is today?
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Day one was Tuesday, Day two is today?

No. It was debited in the Tuesday evening update which for Lloyds is around 2200 Tuesday, about 5 hours after the transactrion was made.
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. It was debited in the Tuesday evening update which for Lloyds is around 2200 Tuesday, about 5 hours after the transactrion was made.

I think you might be splitting hairs here. Most banks do their processing after 12AM. That Lloyd's do it before then doesn't matter.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 16 October 2019 at 1:10AM
    Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 October 2019 at 1:10AM
    I think you are failing to understand.
    All other Tuesday transactions are still pending and I would normally expect them to de debited today (Wednesday) at this evening's update unless there was a delay in submitting them. This is the normal timescale for credit card transactions to debit. This transaction debited approximately 5 hours after it was made which is sufficiently abnormal to warrant a mention and I am curious as to how this was possible.
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is you who are failing to understand.
    All other Tuesday transactions are still pending and I would normally expect them to de debited today (Wednesday) at this evening's update unless there was a delay in submitting them. This is the normal timescale for credit transactions to debit. This transaction debited 5 hours after it was made which is abnormal and I am curious as to how this was possible.

I wouldn't expect Tuesday's transactions to be debited this evening. I'd expect them to be debited (or credited) between 12AM and around 4AM (depending on the bank) this morning (i.e about now.)
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't expect Tuesday's transactions to be debited this evening. I'd expect them to be debited (or credited) between 12AM and around 4AM (depending on the bank) this morning (i.e about now.)
    NO I disagree completely. They will debit tonight (be it at 2200 or midnight tonight or between midnight and 0400 Thusday morning).
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO I disagree completely. They will debit tonight (be it at 2200 or midnight tonight or between midnight and 0400 Thusday morning).

The overnight processing deals with yesterday's transactions, which means all banks doing it right now are dealing with credits, debits, whatever that were posted yesterday.
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We will have to agree to disagree then. I know what I am talking about.