FIRE friends & family

Options

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I wouldn't call the life of "someone retired super early on a very low income" anything because I wouldn't even think about it.

OK well this thread is about FIRE it says so in the title. So if you have no thoughts it may be best not to post.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I think it's pretty normal if you announce you are retiring early for others to question how you managed it. Maybe Pollycat never talked to anyone at work.
    Pollycat talked to lots of people at work. :whistle:

What you think is normal and what I think is normal is clearly very different.
    But then again, I'm pretty sure my ex-colleagues don't think I'm living a sad low income life.
  • fred246
    Options
    Pollycat talked to lots of people at work. :whistle:

But then again, I'm pretty sure my ex-colleagues don't think I'm living a sad low income life.

Can you not read? I have a index linked pension of over £22K PLUS a massive FIRE pot. I don't walk round saying I have massive investments so they don't know about it. They THINK I am living off £22K but I am not.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Can you not read? I have a index linked pension of over £22K PLUS a massive FIRE pot. I don't walk round saying I have massive investments so they don't know about it. They THINK I am living off £22K but I am not.
    Can you not read?
    You were the one who mentioned 'sad low income life'
    That would be the life your ex colleagues think you're living.

As you say - your ex-colleagues THINK you are living.

I have no interest in your finances.
    However, referring to £22k i.e. the annual amount your ex-colleagues THINK you are living off as a 'sad low income life' would be a slap in the face of someone who works full time and still doesn't have that amount of money to live on.
  • fred246
    Options
    would be a slap in the face of someone who works full time and still doesn't have that amount of money to live on.

Maybe but isn't much when you are used to living off £100K
  • JoeEngland
    Options
    Can you not read?

As you say - your ex-colleagues THINK you are living.

I have no interest in your finances.
    However, referring to £22k i.e. the annual amount your ex-colleagues THINK you are living off as a 'sad low income life' would be a slap in the face of someone who works full time and still doesn't have that amount of money to live on.

Our FIRE budget is less than 22k a year but I don't consider it to be a sad life. On the contrary, I pity those still commuting and slogging away at work while I have the freedom of time. Admittedly we're lucky to have a separate holiday fund so we can finance those on top of the annual living budget.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    Our FIRE budget is less than 22k a year but I don't consider it to be a sad life. On the contrary, I pity those still commuting and slogging away at work while I have the freedom of time. Admittedly we're lucky to have a separate holiday fund so we can finance those on top of the annual living budget.

Nice attitude you have. :T
    Glad you appreciate the life you've worked hard for. :)
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Maybe but isn't much when you are used to living off £100K

Arrogance and lack of empathy towards people less fortunate than yourself are pretty unpleasant traits.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We've got modest income/expenditure needs too, which has been debated on another thread!!!

I get asked "how?" alot!! (and why?)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • fred246
    Options
    Most retirement calculators reckon you need about 60-80% of pre-retirement income as a pension. So people who are earning £100K generally aren't happy to retire with £22K. I obviously never spent the £100K which is how I acquired the pot and retired early.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure