House signed over to me, so no Will

Options
2»

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And just to underline the above, there is absolutely no chance of the grandchildren getting their hands on the house.

This is one of the great and underappreciated advantages of gifts in estate planning; the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act does not apply to gifts and your wishes are absolutely bombproof, unless aggrieved third parties can prove you had a gun to your head or were totally gaga when you made the gifts. Plus you get the pleasure of seeing them carried out and can appreciate the gratitude of your heirs.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 October 2019 at 2:05PM
    Options
    Slightly off topic. I assume the OP's understands her legal obligations as a landlord?

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Dad has no other assets apart from enough for a funeral.

If your father is still living there, then the house is classed as a 'gift with reservation' and forms part of his estate for IHT purposes. If he has no other assets, it is highly likely this won't matter a jot unless the house is pretty high value. See https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/passing-on-home
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    Slightly off topic. I assume the OP's understands her legal obligations as a landlord?

If he's not paying her rent she's not a landlord and has very few legal obligations. It's an informal arrangement between family members.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure