»

Breeze Energy: DANGER

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Breeze Energy: DANGER

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
9 replies 727 views
DivingnorwayDivingnorway Forumite
6 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
They have stripped £259 more than they should have from my bank account in 2 months.
I switched to this lot using the MSE tool.
Switch process was fine.
They sent an email saying that my estimated usage was too low compared with typical usage of "my type of house". Their est usage was double mine. I emailed them to tell them I have tracked my actual usage for the last 5 years and it has remained about the same. I sent an est annual usage statement from my last supplier that confirmed my estimates.
They agreed to reduce the direct debit to match my estimate.
Despite saying they would reduce the direct debit, they haven't. My account with them, after 2 months is now £447 in credit.
I have demanded immediate refund, and threatened them with OFGEM and the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme.

I thought Extra Energy were bad....these seem to be just as bad from my experience to date.

Replies

• SimbySimby Forumite
    240 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    So you have a credit.. which means you will not face any big surprises..could the dad be reduced to clear it over time?

Given most people get into the opposite situation , good on you for being on top of your readings and usage.. sadly most are not which is probably the issue the company was trying to protect its customers form having too low a dd , and then having a debt.

I have found British gas more open to setting the dd I want but they are significantly more expensive.

I personally like to overpay and have a credit.. more in case something happens like unemployment and I have difficulty paying but I appreciate most are not like that ( I have about 1000 credit now on both gas and electric which comforts me when I get worried about money). It I appreciate what you have described could be equally frustrating
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Simby wrote: »
    I have about 1000 credit now on both gas and electric which comforts me when I get worried about money.
    If you're worried about a rainy day, it would be far more sensible to keep control of your money by investing it in an interest paying savings account rather than letting it help an energy company's cash flow.

And good luck reclaiming your £2k when your energy company goes bust, as many tales of woe on this forum warn only too clearly. :(
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    And good luck reclaiming your £2k when your energy company goes bust, as many tales of woe on this forum warn only too clearly. :(

No need to claim
    "Your new supplier will pay back the outstanding credit you may have. Once we have appointed the new supplier, they will contact you to explain how this will work. Costs for energy you have used but have not yet been billed for will be deducted from your account balance.
    Our advice is to take a meter reading and a note of your account balance if you know it, and to wait for them to get in touch with you."

From https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/extra-help-energy-services/ofgem-safety-net-if-your-energy-supplier-goes-out-business
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    994 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Far better not to have your hard earned cash mounting up in an energy company's bank account though.

Do their T&C's say anything about cancelling the direct debit? If you did that it sounds as if your balance would keep you going for months. Allowing you enough time to organise a switch to another provider to align with your credit expiring.
  • GuiltyColGuiltyCol Forumite
    5 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Gerry1 wrote: »

Considering this post is about Breeze Energy, who have gone bust, that turned out to be quite a prophetic comment! :T
  • rkcrkc Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi all
    has anyone actually received any credit you had with Breeze energy??
    British gas keep telling me that it is safe and will be transferred to them and that was no need to worry!
    As for the process with BG as far as I am concerned frustrated is an understatement, I want to change but think best thing I can do is sit it out until the Breeze issues are complete.

• Dave_saveDave_save Forumite
    346 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    rkc said:
    Hi all
    British gas keep telling me that it is safe and will be transferred to them and that was no need to worry!
    As for the process with BG as far as I am concerned frustrated is an understatement, I want to change but think best thing I can do is sit it out until the Breeze issues are complete.

You need to have a look at the other Breeze thread created when Breeze went under. As you'll see there, most people have already switched away from BG. Their tariff is quite high and BG are certainly hard work when trying to deal with billing. The Breeze credit and debits for the period up to administration (22nd December), wont be finalised for at least a couple of weeks and will be a separate exercise from the BG periods of supply.
  • rkcrkc Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Dave_save said:
    rkc said:
    Hi all

You need to have a look at the other Breeze thread created when Breeze went under. As you'll see there, most people have already switched away from BG. Their tariff is quite high and BG are certainly hard work when trying to deal with billing. The Breeze credit and debits for the period up to administration (22nd December), wont be finalised for at least a couple of weeks and will be a separate exercise from the BG periods of supply.
    Thank you Dave, found it