»

Elderly disabled denied wheelchair at Middle East airport

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Elderly disabled denied wheelchair at Middle East airport

31 replies 1.7K views
someanonblokesomeanonbloke
230 posts
Forumite
Hi, I wasn't sure which forum to post this and so please move accordingly, mod, thx.

Hello, I'm posting in relation to an incident with an airline operating internationally out of the Middle East.

A senior couple (one disabled and reliant on a wheelchair) had booked their tickets through an agency travelling from UK to a destination in south Asia connecting through a Middle East airport. After booking with an agency, they subsequently contacted the airline to book wheelchair and transit lounge facilities for their wait at the connecting airport, which was confirmed over the phone with a representative of the airline.

A wheelchair was provided for the first leg of the trip from UK to the connecting airport. On arrival at the connecting airport, an attendant was waiting, who took them into the airport but then said that if they wanted to keep the wheelchair for the duration of the transit there would be an extra charge? Reluctantly, the elderly couple agreed to pay with a CC but the attendant rejected this and demanded cash whereupon he marched them to an ATM. The non-disabled senior then became angered by this believing it to be an extortion attempt whereupon the airport security took him away and the disabled senior was abandoned in the airport with no carer for 30 mins. This caused the individual to have a panic attack because he/she didn't know what was going on and was clearly very vulnerable. After this delay, the security released the non-disabled senior who returned to the abandoned senior. The attendant then withdrew the chair whereupon the couple were forced to go on foot to the transit lounge. They were then refused entry to the transit lounge because 'they were not on the list' and were asked to pay extra. They refused to pay and ended up sitting in a general waiting area which caused them considerable discomfort whilst they waited for their flight.

It's not clear what happened here. At first we thought there might be confusion about the processing of the extra charge for wheelchair/transit lounge facilities but then why was there no issue with the wheelchair on the other legs of the trip? At the final destination in south Asia wheelchair services were provided by the airline all the way to the taxi outside the airport on both legs. So, it seems the problem is specific to the airport in the Middle East.

Again, on the return leg through the Middle East, no wheelchair was provided but the seniors did not wish for a repeat of the previous situation and coped by walking with great difficulty to required areas.

I initially raised this complaint with the airline at the start of the year which the airline acknowledged. Then, again, during the summer I sent a reminder to the airline which they acknowledged. Yet there has still been no resolution. I feel enough time has passed for a resolution to this. What are the options are this stage and which authority should we report this state of affairs to?

Replies

• WestinWestin
    2.3K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why the need for us to guess?

Can you not simply name the airline, the transit airport in the Middle East were they had the problem, the name of the company providing the wheelchair service (if known) and the name of the lounge that you booked (did you pay for this) that they subsequently were denied entry to.
  • I wasn't sure if naming and the shaming the airline was a good idea because I thought there might be legal implications. I posted the thread on another website and I think they deleted it for that reason. Hence erring on the side of caution.

In response to your other questions, you need to re-read my OP because the answers are all there.
  • peachypricepeachyprice
    21.5K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit difficult to comment without knowing the airline and/or airport as nobody can even begin to guess the relevant T&C's .
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710
    12.9K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess Qatar Airways and Doha airport
  • badger09badger09
    7.8K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would guess Qatar Airways and Doha airport

Certainly doesn't correspond to my experience with Emirates @ Phuket, Dubai & Birmingham when that was arranged at very short notice.
  • edited 13 October 2019 at 3:01PM
    SimbySimby
    240 posts
    Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    edited 13 October 2019 at 3:01PM
    Op why did they not just pay the entrance fee to the lounge and pay for the wheelchair.. golden rule in foreign countries do not argue which can result in arrest. If they did not want to pay they could have declined politely but under no circumstances argue or show any dis respect .

Other countries do not all have the same rules, I am not sure how you can raise a claim against a Middle East airport and be successful...
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710
    12.9K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I initially raised this complaint with the airline at the start of the year which the airline acknowledged. Then, again, during the summer I sent a reminder to the airline which they acknowledged. Yet there has still been no resolution. I feel enough time has passed for a resolution to this. What are the options are this stage and which authority should we report this state of affairs to?

Given the time lapse since this was first reported to the airline and the fact that they seem to regard it as a matter of little consequence (and I appreciate you do not), it is doubtful there will be any "resolution".

I don't know if there is anyone you can report this to who could resolve the matter, but I don't know what you would expect them to do
  • Simby, here is the response, which is in the OP.
    After booking with an agency, they subsequently contacted the airline to book wheelchair and transit lounge facilities for their wait at the connecting airport, which was confirmed over the phone with a representative of the airline.
  • comeandgocomeandgo
    3.1K posts
    Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    lincroft, if only I was allowed to scream expletives in your face!

There's an old saying, 'If you've got nothing helpful to say, please shut....'

How rude, was it really necessary to answer a reply in such a way?

There is nothing to be done. You do not argue with airport officials
    In the Middle East, you pay and accept it.
  • How rude, was it really necessary to answer a reply in such a way?

There is nothing to be done. You do not argue with airport officials
    In the Middle East, you pay and accept it.

No I was responding appropriately to the dismissive condescending fob off! And who the hell are you with nothing constructive to add and now trying to censor me.

You should all be working for Google.