We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Credit card late fees
Paxton1978
Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi all,
First time poster, so hope this is in the right place. I recently took out a zero-percent interest card and fro the first two months the payments were 3-4 days late because the payment due date hadn’t been set up correctly. I’m challenging them, but am about to apply for a mortgage and wondered whether these late payments would affect my score considering they were only a few days late?
Thanks!
First time poster, so hope this is in the right place. I recently took out a zero-percent interest card and fro the first two months the payments were 3-4 days late because the payment due date hadn’t been set up correctly. I’m challenging them, but am about to apply for a mortgage and wondered whether these late payments would affect my score considering they were only a few days late?
Thanks!
0
Comments
-
How were the payment dates not setup correctly?
They tell you what the dates are.0 -
I’m convinced I changed the date online after the fact, but apparently this change didn’t go through. As I say, though, the main worry is how this affects my credit score0
-
It will affect your credit history badly, in terms of a mortgage application.Paxton1978 wrote: »I’m convinced I changed the date online after the fact, but apparently this change didn’t go through. As I say, though, the main worry is how this affects my credit score
Each of the two statements you received have told you the respective payment due date. A mortgage lender will wonder why, having slipped up once, you slipped up again the following month. Do you have an answer ready for that question?0 -
YorkshireBoy - Like you I am perplexed too, because on the statement it clearly states the date payment is due.
I always pay my credit card a couple of days early to ensure that it arrives on time.0 -
Therein lies the problem. Manual payments are subject to the vagaries of the various systems in place and may take several days to be applied to the account. Always set up a direct debit for at least the minimum payment. That way there can be no issues with late payments, you may get interest charges but they unlikely as severe as late payment fees and will not affect your credit file. If you insist in making manual payments I suggest you do it about a week ahead of the due date.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
What do you mean the payment due date had not been set up correctly?
What yo you mean when you say that you changed the date online? How do you change a payment due date online? Please clarify.0 -
Not many places (none that I know of) allow you to change the payment date yourself.
You usually need to call or use their live chat or messaging system.
Who is the card with?0 -
I think what happened is that the OP set up a Standing Order instead of Direct Debits. The OP, when setting up the SO, failed to confirm the due date and therefore failed to ensure the payment was received by the card issuer before the due date.
@ OP - Please confirm what happened. If my assumption is correct, then you could request a refund of the 2x£12 late payment fees as a goodwill gesture. You would have to accept the blame though and acknowledge it was your error that caused the problem. I doubt whether the card issuer would extend the goodwill gesture to remove the late payment markers on your credit file. After all, they have a duty to accurately report the conduct of your credit account.
In addition, because your payments were late, that should mean your 0% APR promotional window will have been revoked. You could try the goodwill gesture with this too.I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.
I love my job
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

