Council Tax dispute

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
1 reply 592 views
Riven44Riven44 Forumite
1 Post
Hi Everyone,

My partner and I moved from a previous tenancy 2 years ago in April and updated the local council with our new address and have received bills at our new address as expected.

The council have continued to charge us at both addresses until the September.

I recently lost my job and have had to make a universal credit claim. I now also owe council tax for this new address.

We have now been told that the council will deduct the debt from our universal credit payment. I have no confidence that the amount will only be the debt from this address and not the previous one.

After 2 years of trying to get the council to admit their mistake a woman from the account department called and admitted the mistake and said she had applied an exemption from the April until the September at the previous address.

I would appreciate any help or advice on how to properly deal with the council. I have no confidence that they will not take money at the end of the month.

How can they continue with a summary warrant based on false information? I have not had a correct bill either.


  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Just because you have vacated a property does not mean that you are no longer liable - like England and Wales, Scotland has a very similar concept of council tax liability in that merely being no-longer resident does not prevent you from remaining liable (This is based on E&W but S is similar).

    The council make the decision on the information they have and the legislation. If they feel that the information & legislation makes a person liable then they will do so and that is deemed to be correct until such time as it is altered. If you wish to dispute that liability then there are specific routes of dispute open to you.

    At the moment they have stated that they have applied an exemption to that should zero the bill for April to September. You should receive an adjusted council tax demand but make sure they have the correct address.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides