We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Paying back credit with credit.

Hello,

new to the forum and sorry if this is a silly question.

I was contemplating different ways to increase my credit score, I was wondering if what the outcome would be if I took out finance, and paid the monthly repayments with my credit card, and made then paid off the card in full every month. Would this positively or negatively effect my score?

Thanks

J

Comments

  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    You have got this wrong. Your 'credit score' is meaningless in the real world. Lenders don't use it. Lenders don't see it. Don't take out finance just to boost something that no-one uses.

    To build positive data within your credit file, you should use your card each month for things in your normal monthly budget, such as groceries and travel. Then once you receive the monthly statement, you simply pay the full balance before the due date. :)

    Edit: Hi Jpayce and welcome to the forum :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

    I love my job

    :smiley:
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,098 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You will be doing well to get a loan or finance that accepts credit card psyments.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Jpayce wrote: »
    Hello,

    new to the forum and sorry if this is a silly question.

    I was contemplating different ways to increase my credit score, I was wondering if what the outcome would be if I took out finance, and paid the monthly repayments with my credit card, and made then paid off the card in full every month. Would this positively or negatively effect my score?

    Thanks

    J
    That is a terrible idea, post 2 (above) explains why.

    Every creditor has there own credit scoring system, which is never shared with joe public, the “score” you see on your credit report, is a number generated by a company who do not lend money, it’s purely there as an indicator of how a creditor may view you, and is used by the CRA’s to sell you credit building products, cards and loans, as some act as credit brokers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,383 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 May 2024 at 12:42PM
    I look at it this way, regardless of the supplier I chose, only 40% of the electrons coming through the big wire into my house are from renewable energy. Picking a green supplier doesn't change the fact that 41% of the electricity boiling my kettle will be from gas generation.

    I'm happy for people to buy "green" energy to ease their conscience, I personally ease my wallet by buying the cheapest knowing I'm getting exactly the same gas and electric entering my house and my impact to the environment is exactly the same as my neighbour on an all green tariff.

    Having said that I'm currently on a 100% renewable electricity tariff but only because it was the cheapest when I switched.

    Good to know. :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    edited 9 May 2024 at 12:42PM
    I look at it this way, regardless of the supplier I chose, only 40% of the electrons coming through the big wire into my house are from renewable energy. Picking a green supplier doesn't change the fact that 41% of the electricity boiling my kettle will be from gas generation.

    I'm happy for people to buy "green" energy to ease their conscience, I personally ease my wallet by buying the cheapest knowing I'm getting exactly the same gas and electric entering my house and my impact to the environment is exactly the same as my neighbour on an all green tariff.

    Having said that I'm currently on a 100% renewable electricity tariff but only because it was the cheapest when I switched.

    Have got the forums mixed up per chance ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.